Indexes in Access Table

oni1983

I am trying to add more fields to my table but I am being told that I have reached the maximum of 32 indexes. However when I go to Show/Hide group to check what fields are indexed only 3 show. Does this mean that there are many other indexes which are hidden?

I have also removed the option for Access to autoindex fields unless their name contains ID.

If so, is there a way I can unhide and delete them? I have no need for so many indexed fields...the 3 index which show are enough to suit my needs.

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Thanks for the link. However my issue is with the 'hidden' indexes created by the database itself. Could it be that many of the fields of the table in question require the user to choose from a drop down list (the information being generated from another table through a relation)?

Upvote 0
I would guess that it is possible that the tables in question have lookups in them. Whether or not this requires users to choose from a drop down I'm not sure (I personally would never include lookups of any kind in TABLE objects).

Upvote 0
I would guess that it is possible that the tables in question have lookups in them. Whether or not this requires users to choose from a drop down I'm not sure (I personally would never include lookups of any kind in TABLE objects).

Yes I was referring to lookup when I said that the tables have a number of fields where the user is required to choose from drop down.
So does this mean that the use of lookups in tables create hidden indexes?

Upvote 0
I'm not an expert on that topic but that was what was stated in the link I gave earlier:
One problem is that Access creates indexes due to relationships and lookup fields that aren't viewable on the main index property box but they are accessible via DAO collections.

If you do have lookups in your tables I would remove them and see if that helps.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back