Indirect formula across sheets

ANTONIO1981

Board Regular
Hi all

I Have the following formula in a spreadsheet with several tabs per month with the same layout.

=(March!D$54+March!D$55+March!D$56+March!D$62)/March!D$7

i would like to have the month name written in cell F1.

so when I change F1 to April or other Month name the formula changes picking the information from the April tab.

I tried to write the formula indirect unsuccesfully..

many thanks in advance!

Antonio

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
How about: =(INDIRECT(F1&"!D$54")+INDIRECT(F1&"!D$55")+INDIRECT(F1&"!D$56")+INDIRECT(F1&"!D$62"))/INDIRECT(F1&"!D$7")

Where F1 = "March" and could be changed to April

Let me know if this doesn't work or if you have any questions.

Upvote 0
=(indirect(f1&"!i$54")+indirect(f1&"!i$55")+indirect(f1&"!i$56")+indirect(f1&"!i$62"))/indirect(f1&"!i$7")

Upvote 0
Or :-
Code:
=SUM(INDIRECT($F$1&"!D$54:D$56"),INDIRECT($F$1&"!D$62"))/INDIRECT($F$1&"!D$7")[/code

hth

Upvote 0
In general, if A1 contains text referring to a sheet (say "Sheet1"), A2 contains text referring to a cell address (say "b1"), and B1 contains a number (say 6), you could have a formula somewhere like this INDIRECT(A1&"!"&A2), which would look for cell Sheet1!B1 and report 6.

Upvote 0
Many thanks elmer007 I will go for your formula as it is very similar to the original formula . thanks to all. Great website and great people. Antonio

Upvote 0
Quick question since the formula contains the cell references betwen " " . The formula seems not being able to change when you move it around. how do you make it relative $. thanks in advance elmer007

Upvote 0
You're correct that the quotation marks are making the references absolute since excel is storing the text in the formula instead of actual cell references. I'm not sure how your spreadsheet is setup, but I'm going to make a few guesses and give an option...

I'm assuming that you are copying the formula across a row (horizontally) and want the cell references in the formula to change columns. My test sheet has F1 as the cell with the month name in it ("March"), and the following setup would be an option:
In G1 put "D". In G2:G6 put 54, 55, 56, 62, and 7. In H1 put "E". Copy G2:G6 into H2:H6.

In G7 put: =(INDIRECT($F$1&"!"&G1&G2)+INDIRECT($F$1&"!"&G1&G3)+INDIRECT($F$1&"!"&G1&G4)+INDIRECT($F$1&"!"&G1&G5))/INDIRECT($F$1&"!"&G1&G6)

This works by referencing the values in cells G1:G6 instead of having the cell references be stored as text within the indirect formula. So, when you copy G7 and paste into H7, the reference to G1 (which returned "D" in the first column) will shift to H1 (and return "E"- thus making it function like relative cell references).

This setup will probably need to be tweaked to fit your spreadsheet setup, and there may be a better solution, but I find that this works fairly well when I use indirect. If this just doesn't work at all with the way your spreadsheet is setup then maybe we can come up with another creative solution.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocbudda

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back