INDIRECT (I Think)

Chris26

Hi, looking for a bit of help with Excel. With my limited knowledge I think I need to use the Indirect command. Just not sure how. I am using Excel 2007.
In my SHEET I have Pump Data in the following format. There could be weeks of data so runs to quite a few lines in the excel sheet.
Col A<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm
This is a date/time reading for whenever there is a change of state in a pump i.e On/Off
Col B<o:p></o:p>
Just text i.e. Either ON or OFF<o:p></o:p>
I have set up in same SHEET a Table for checking the pump performance etc. I would like to be able to enter the CELL in Column A that my Table starts reading at. For example if my data in Col A runs from CELL A1 to CELL A500 I would like to be able to input say CELL A150 as the starting point in the table. I want this manually inputted CELL value to be changeable and not fixed
If I use CELL C1 as my input and enter A150
In the first line of my Table (CELL D1) I enter =INDIRECT (C1), this works fine and CELL D1 in Table displays the Value for the relevant CELL in COLUMN A that was entered in C1.
But How do I then extend this down my table so that the next line in my table D2 reads value of CELL A151, then D3 reads value of CELL A152 etc.
<o:p> </o:p>
Sorry if this a bit long, apologies if I confused you (confused myself i think !!!:confused:), and many thanks in advance for replies.

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Try entering only the row in C1 (i.e. 150 not A150) then in D1

=INDIRECT("C"&C1+(ROW()-1))

Or, as you say that column A contains dates, would looking for the date intered in C1 be more practical than entering the cell address?

If it would try

=index($B$1:$B$200,(Row(a1)-1)+match($C$1,$A$1:$A$200,0))

Upvote 0
This is a small example of something you might do. It only inputs the row number having the letter fixed.
It requires and extra column, R which lists the row numbers to be referred to. There might be a way to do without, but someone more clever than me will have to do that.

Excel Workbook
RS
243A1
254A2
265A3
276A4
comp prob
Excel 2007
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
S24=INDIRECT("A" & R24)
S25=INDIRECT("A" & R25)
S26=INDIRECT("A" & R26)
S27=INDIRECT("A" & R27)
R25=R24+1
R26=R25+1
R27=R26+1

Upvote 0
Thanks for taking the time to help out :)

I took your advice Jason and used the Index formula. Had to manipulate it a bit to get what I wanted, but got there in the end. :)

Many Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cybersurfer5000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back