Indirect/iferror problem

Erdrick

This code runs just fine as a formula in a cell and it runs just fine in conditional formatting as long as i don't wrap an IFERROR around it. Once i wrap the IFERROR around it the comparison fails. The ADDRESS function has the correct syntax. I have verified that enter that as a formula in a cell.

VALUE(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(COLUMN()-12,4,3,TRUE,"Sheet1")))>18.7

Any help would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Like this perhaps:
=VALUE(IFERROR(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(COLUMN()-12,4,3,TRUE,"Sheet1")),0))>18.7

Upvote 0
Like this perhaps:
=VALUE(IFERROR(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(COLUMN()-12,4,3,TRUE,"Sheet1")),0))>18.7

Thanks for the response. That was just the part that errored out. Here is the full condition. So I need to test if the data in the cell has a delimiter and they return the portion that does. Search and Find both return an error if search param is not found so I have to use an IFERROR statement to trap that and go a different direction is the delimited is not found. I am really baffled by this. I am positive that my syntax is correct, INDIRECT just doesn't seem to compare right once I wrap the IFERROR around it. The code run fine with the IFERROR state in a conditional format.

I spread this out to make it easier to read.
Code:
IFERROR(
if(Setup!$G$3="Miles",
IFERROR(VALUE(Left(N2, Len(N2) - (SEARCH("|",N2)+1)))<=VALUE(INDIRECT("'Vendors'!$D$"&(COLUMN()-12))),VALUE(N2)<=VALUE(INDIRECT("'Vendors'!$D$"&((COLUMN()-13)+1))))
IFERROR((value(Mid(N2, Find("*:*",N2), Len(N2)) + (Left(N2, Len(N2) - (SEARCH(":",N2)+1)) * 60))<=VALUE(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(COLUMN()-12,4,3,TRUE,"Vendors")))),FALSE)
)
,FALSE)

Upvote 0
So now it is not giving intended results?
Can you describe what you want to achieve
e.g.
1. Check if Setup!G3 is equal to "Miles"
2. If condition #1 is true then check with "|" delimiter
Then check....
3. If condition #1 is false then check with "*:*" delimiter
Then check...

Upvote 0
I ended up creating a UDF to work around this.. although I don't understand why that code wouldn't work.

Upvote 0
If Setup!$G$3="Miles" then
SEARCH for "|" delimiter
else
SEARCH for ":" delimiter

The search function returns an error if the string it not found. Some cell would be formatted with a pipe "|", others will be formatted with a colon ":".

When I incorporate the IFERROR statement, the INDIRECT statement doesn't return the value, as I have confirmed it does with out the IFERROR statement. If I replace the indirect statement with a standard numeric value, say 50, the IFERROR statement function properly. The search statement can be completely removed to test this, as I did in the code below. Keep in mind, this runs find when entered as a cell formula, the issue is incorporating it into conditional formatting.

COLUMN() starts at column N and goes higher. The purpose of that is to get data from a single column from a different sheet.

Code:
IFERROR(
if(Setup!$G$3="Miles", 
IFERROR(20<=VALUE(INDIRECT("'Vendors'!$D$"&(COLUMN()-12))),VALUE(N2)<=VALUE(INDIRECT("'Vendors'!$D$"&((COLUMN()-13)+1))))
IFERROR(50<=VALUE(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(COLUMN()-12,4,3,TRUE,"Vendors"))),FALSE)
)
,FALSE)

Same problem with INDIRECT not using the ADDRESS function

Code:
IFERROR(
if(Setup!$G$3="Miles", 
IFERROR(20<=VALUE(INDIRECT("'Vendors'!$D$"&(COLUMN()-12))),VALUE(N2)<=)VALUE(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(COLUMN()-12,4,3,TRUE,"Vendors")))
IFERROR(50<=VALUE(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(COLUMN()-12,4,3,TRUE,"Vendors"))),FALSE)
 )
 ,FALSE)

Upvote 0
OK. I assume UDF is working for you. Do you still want to work with standard functions and resolve it?

Upvote 0
OK. I assume UDF is working for you. Do you still want to work with standard functions and resolve it?

At this point, I will just stick with the UDF. Although, I am curious to know if anyone else has ran into this issue. Perhaps as time goes on someone may see this thread.

Thanks Taurean.

Upvote 0
Have not read all the posts, but keep in mind that CF works only on TRUE/FALSE (1/0), so Im not really sure you need to use IFERROR anyway. All IFERROR does is check your formula fo an error - if it finds an error, it triggers the 2nd argument, if there is no error, it used the formula.

You just need to structure the formula to return T/F (or 1/0) and that's is.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raviguru

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back