Indirect Index and Match issues

cobra30md

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello, I've searched the board and many other sites but I can not get this formula to work. I have a formula which runs well but am trying to make it dynamic so all I need to do is change the name(month) of the sheet I want to evaluate and I'm ready to roll. The formula below is what I use now but it is pretty hardcoded.

{=INDEX(May21Pivot!$G$1:$G$500,MATCH(1,('May21'!$B3=May21Pivot!$B$1:$B$500)*('May21'!$C3=May21Pivot!$C$1:$C$500)*("Activity"=May21Pivot!$D$1:$D$500),0))}

I've tried indirect but can never get it to work correctly for this. I always end up with some type of error.

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Try the following. I put this in a "master" sheet with the month and year in B7 in the form of: 'June21' for example.
Oh, you can drag this because of the cell references inside the INDIRECT. There are ways around that, but continue as a pain, frankly.

Code:
=INDEX(INDIRECT(B7&"Pivot!$G$1:$G$50"),MATCH(1,(INDIRECT(B7&"!$B3")=INDIRECT(B7&"Pivot!$B$1:$B$20"))*(INDIRECT(B7&"!$C3")=INDIRECT(B7&"Pivot!$C$1:$C$20"))*("Activity"=INDIRECT(B7&"Pivot!$D$1:$D$20")),0))

Array Formula needing Ctrl+Shift+Enter

If you want to try to get around fixing the cell reference, look at ADDRESS:

1619643944656.png

This yields: $C3

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution
Got it. Thanks for your help. I did end up incorporating the ADDRESS as well into it. Works great now.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back