Indirect on named cell

Skovgaard

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All,

Can anyone explain why Indirect("fMMBUAR") doesn't work on below reference?

1618385524085.png

/Skovgaard

If the named ranges are, or can be, made into tables, then you can use INDIRECT (even though those are technically dynamic) and pass the table/column names.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
I notice that the definition of fMMBUAR could be changed from =INDEX(QUOTE!$O:$O, ROW(), 0) by select a cell in row 1 (of what ever sheet you're on) and defining fMMBUAR as =QUOTE!$O1

Upvote 0
If the named ranges are, or can be, made into tables, then you can use INDIRECT (even though those are technically dynamic) and pass the table/column names.
My intention is to put it into a table.
When I try this, it works if the formula is outside the table. If I want to put the formula in the same table, I get a #SPILL! error. Is that not possible to do?

Upvote 0
What are the definitions you are using?

Upvote 0
I notice that the definition of fMMBUAR could be changed from =INDEX(QUOTE!$O:$O, ROW(), 0) by select a cell in row 1 (of what ever sheet you're on) and defining fMMBUAR as =QUOTE!$O1
Yeah you're right about this. I still need to pick up the name (fMMBUAR) from another table, and INDIRECT doesn't seem to be working with this dynamic cell.

Upvote 0
I suspect that if you use that in another table, then unless all your ranges are the same size as that table, you'll have problems unless you wrap your INDIRECT in an INDEX formula to extract specific cells.

Upvote 0
I suspect that if you use that in another table, then unless all your ranges are the same size as that table, you'll have problems unless you wrap your INDIRECT in an INDEX formula to extract specific cells.

I'm not sure how you would wrap the INDIRECT into INDEX, could you specify?

Below is the example I'm trying.
The formula in B2 is the same as in D2. As you can see, the formula works outside the table, but not inside.
Is it because it can't make an array formula in a table?

1618401376608.png

/Skovgaard

Upvote 0
Is it because it can't make an array formula in a table?
I suspect so. What I was suggesting was something like:

=INDEX(INDIRECT("fMMBUAR"),ROW()-1)

for example.

Upvote 0
Solution
=INDIRECT(fMMBUAR) is not the same as =INDIRECT("fMMBUAR")

The original situation appears to be a cell containing the name of the range, hence the use of INDIRECT. That is equivalent to =INDIRECT("fMMBUAR"), not =INDIRECT(fMMBUAR). The latter will evaluate whatever fMMBUAR refers to and pass that to INDIRECT.

I see what you mean. I have now tested it by putting it in a cell and as you pointed out it returns #REF!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mirek8991

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back