Indirect Sum Formulae

chris-evans

Board Regular
Hi I was hoping someone could help me. I'm trying to set up a formulae that is driven by a drop down box so it will give me an update each month.

I have one sheet for each month (named Jan, Feb, Mar, etc). I then have an analysis sheet on which there is a drop down box that gives me the sheet names which i've named month. I then have a column to return the current period result (i.e. month) in which i've placed the formula =INDIRECT(Month&"!c14") this works fine.

I now want to do one for YTD which needs to sum from sheet Jan to whatever month i've selected. This is the formulae i'm trying but failing with:

=SUM(INDIRECT("Jan:"&Month&"!c14"))

Any ideas why?

Many thanks in advance

Chris

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Hi Glenn

This doesn't seem to work. Reason being, I need the end of the array to be dynamic i.e. driven by the drop down box and the first sheet it fixed i.e. Jan.

By using that formula, as I understand it I will need to specify each sheet, which isn't the purpose of what i'm trying to achieve.

Kind regards

Chris

Upvote 0
Hi,

Try:

=SUM(N(INDIRECT({"Jan","Feb","Mar","Apr","May","Jun","Jul","Aug","Sep","Oct","Nov","Dec"}&"!C14"))*({1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12}<=MATCH(Month,{"Jan","Feb","Mar","Apr","May","Jun","Jul","Aug","Sep","Oct","Nov","Dec"},0)))

Upvote 0
I don't have a clue how that formula works but it does the job perfectly!

Thanks a lot for your help.

Chris

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back