individual cell date modified will be marked in another cell

CL1000

I have a spreadsheet on Onedrive for me and my employees to keep track of our machine hrs for maintenance. I use Excel 2013 Pro to set it up.

I need to be able to have the date that one cell is modified be enter in another cell to the right of that one.

Say I have column "D",with the machine hrs and column "E" has the date column "D" was modified. I need to have column "E" update automatically when ever a cell in column "D" is modified.

Example: say D5 is modified to 5,567hrs and E5 will automatically log down (todays date) 07/20/2019. D4 was not modified so E4 stills show 07/13/2019 (last date it was modified).

I have tried this formula in cell E5 =IF(D5="",THEN,TODAY()) However when I open the page the next day all cells in column E shows the current days date and not the day it was modified.

Thanks,

CL1000

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Put the following code in the events of your sheet.

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    If Target.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
    If Target.Column = 4 Then Target.Offset(0, 1).Value = Date
End Sub

Sheet event
Right click the tab of the sheet you want this to work, select view code & paste the code into the window that opens up.

Upvote 0
Try this:
This is an auto sheet event script
Your Workbook must be Macro enabled
To install this code:
Right-click on the sheet tab
Select View Code from the pop-up context menu
Paste the code in the VBA edit window
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
'Modified  7/21/2019  12:58:17 AM  EDT
If Target.Column = 4 Then
    If Target.Cells.CountLarge > 1 Or IsEmpty(Target) Then Exit Sub
    Target(1, 2).Value = Date
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks DanteAmor for your reply.

I'm just a basic user of Excel, I know how to do the simple stuff and can figure out some formulas but after that I have not venture out into other areas like the code you posted. Can you expand your answer to walk me through it from the beginning, you know dummies 101 level?

I will need to repeat the formula, code or whatever about 30 times for 30 different rows.

Thanks again,

CL

Upvote 0
Thanks "My Answer is this" for your reply.

I'm just a basic user of Excel, I know how to do the simple stuff and can figure out some formulas but after that I have not venture out into other areas like the code you posted. Can you expand your answer to walk me through it from the beginning, you know dummies 101 level?

I will need to repeat the formula, code or whatever about 30 times for 30 different rows.

Thanks again,

CL

Upvote 0
You will not need to do as you said:

This script performs the same task for all cells in column 4

When ever you enter any value in column 4 todays date will be entered in column 5

Did you try this script?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You will not need to do as you said:

This script performs the same task for all cells in column 4

When ever you enter any value in column 4 todays date will be entered in column 5

Did you try this script?

No I have not, Sorry but I'm a total dumby with codes... where and how do I even start with a code?

Upvote 0
I explained in earlier post but here it is again:
This is an auto sheet event script
Your Workbook must be Macro enabled
To install this code:
Right-click on the sheet tab
Select View Code from the pop-up context menu
Paste the code in the VBA edit window

Then when you enter any value in column 4 the script runs.

Upvote 0
Thanks DanteAmor for your reply.

Thanks again,

CL

To set the date in the auotmatic and remain permanent it must be with a VBA code. You just put a piece of data in column D and column E is filled in automatically.

HOW TO INSTALL Event Code
------------------------------------
If you are new to event code procedures, they are easy to install. To install it, right-click the name tab at the bottom of the worksheet that is to have the functionality to be provided by the event code and select "View Code" from the popup menu that appears. This will open up the code window for that worksheet. Copy/Paste the event code into that code window. That's it... the code will now operate automatically when its particular event procedure is raised by an action you take on the worksheet itself. Note... if you are using XL2007 or above, make sure you save your file as an "Excel Macro-Enabled Workbook (*.xlsm) and answer the "do you want to enable macros" question as "yes" or "OK" (depending on the button label for your version of Excel) the next time you open your workbook.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benefuexx

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back