Info. on Open Office

cummingsea

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I would like to know if anyone here knows about Open Office, and if I was to install it on my computer would it interfere with Microsoft Office.

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
It shouldn’t “interfere” with MS Office. The only thing it might do is set your default application for opening with Open Office programs rather than MS Office. (i.e. an xls file might automatically open into Open Office Spreadsheet rather than Excel). But this can obviously be changed back.

I've had OO installed on my home computer for a couple of years now. Despite my good intentions, I never use it (Excel IS a drug!). It has never caused me any grief running along side the 4 versions of Excel I run at home.

That's not that many: I believe Tushar Mehta (probably among many others) runs at least 7.

I started off with xl97, moved on to 2003, then Microsoft decided to give me 2007 and then I picked up 2000 at a car boot. I only have 2002 at work now... - oh and 2007 on two Bloomberg machines (not sure why they are different).

Lol!!! :LOL:

97 is quite different from the rest (it uses VBA5) so it's useful to have that around, but I use 2003 pretty much exclusively on my home desktop. The home laptop uses xl2007 (and nothing else). So I make most use of 2003 and 2007 (more use of 2003 than 2007). I practically never touch 2000.

Are you trying to tell me Emma that you don't collect Excel versions???? Now that has to be a girl foible!!!

;)

:cry: I feel all girlie just having the one version at a time on my pc's!

That's not that many: I believe Tushar Mehta (probably among many others) runs at least 7.

I started off with xl97, moved on to 2003, then Microsoft decided to give me 2007 and then I picked up 2000 at a car boot. I only have 2002 at work now... - oh and 2007 on two Bloomberg machines (not sure why they are different).

Hi Mr. Richard

How is it possible to install & use different versions of Excel on the same computer ? What about the file associations then ? It will than create an all time high mess on the computer !

I have Excel 2000, 2002 and Excel 2007 @ home but I cud only install 2007 on my home PC. Would I be able to install all of these on my home PC as well ?

I tried once and I ended up in a nightmare trying to configure my Office files back to normal :biggrin:

...(Excel IS a drug!)...
Nay laddie. 'tisn't Excel that's the drug. 'tis MrExcel that's addicting. Were there a MrOpenOffice.com, I'm sure you'd find reasons to tinker with it more.

@ stormseed - I don't have a lot of experience with this. But from what I read before installing 2007 over 2003, as long as you install oldest to newest you're probably okay. Installing new and then trying to work backwards and install an older version is apparently very bad voodoo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omarahmed1

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back