Input function into cell VBA help

nshepo20

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello, thank you for the generous help. I am trying to input the following functions into the corresponding cell range. Unfortunately, I get syntax error on the formula even though it is inside of quotations and should be read as a string (or at least I thought). The Error highlights "filename" on the first line and "f" in the third line. The middle line works. Any idea how the syntax would work for this? Thanks

VBA Code:
Sub Dateformat()

Sheets("Combined").range("A1").formula = "=MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("[",CELL("filename",A1),1)+1,FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1),1)-FIND("[",CELL("filename",A1),1)-1)"
Sheets("Combined").Range("B1").Formula = "=RIGHT(YEAR(TODAY()),2)"
Sheets("Combined").Range("A3:A" & .Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row).Formula = "=CONCATENATE(MID($A$1,FIND("f",$A$1,3)+2,(FIND("v",$A$1,1))-(FIND("f",$A$1,3)+3)),".",$B$1)"

End Sub

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
You need to double-up the quotes inside the formula like
VBA Code:
Sheets("Combined").range("A1").formula = "=MID(CELL(""filename"",A1),FIND(""["",CELL(""filename"",A1),1)+1,FIND(""]"",CELL(""filename"",A1),1)-FIND(""["",CELL(""filename"",A1),1)-1)"

Upvote 0
Solution
The issue occurs because double-quotes are using in VBA as text qualifiers, but they are also used in your formulas as literal values, so it requires doubling up of double-quotes, which can be a bit confusing.

The easiest thing to do, in my opinion, is to let Excel figure it out for you!
Simply turn on your Macro Recorder, and enter the formula you want on the sheet (i.e. in cell A1). Then stop the Macro Recorder and view the code.
Copy and paste the formula part to your code to get what you need.

Upvote 0
The issue occurs because double-quotes are using in VBA as text qualifiers, but they are also used in your formulas as literal values, so it requires doubling up of double-quotes, which can be a bit confusing.

The easiest thing to do, in my opinion, is to let Excel figure it out for you!
Simply turn on your Macro Recorder, and enter the formula you want on the sheet (i.e. in cell A1). Then stop the Macro Recorder and view the code.
Copy and paste the formula part to your code to get what you need.
@Joe4 Thank you for the explanation, that makes much more sense and thank you for the tip, I'll certainly give that a try for next time :)

Upvote 0
Glad we could help & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fuddy_Duddy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back