Input hours and minutes

markmac234

Hi
I am having difficulty inputting hours and minutes. I want to enter the time like 1.15 and not 75 mins. Any ideas? I have formatted the result column as h:mm but because of the decimal time problem, I can't find a way to enter the data.
:rolleyes:
Mac

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Not sure what your'e asking. are you using : and not . as in your post. Also if it is an adding problem use [h]:mm in the custom format.
Post back please, with a bit more info (unless its me having a braindead day)

Colin.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. I mean 1.15 and not 1:15. It refers to 1 hour 15 minutes and not 1:15 am/pm. Basically I have to input flight hours into a table and more often than not they are in hours and minutes and not just minutes. The next column in the table is a running total for each row, which refers to a different aircraft. I have got the table working fine, but only if I use minutes i.e. 75 or 90 instead of 1hr 15, 1 hr 30 etc...Some of the hours I have to input are large so it would take a while converting all the inputs into minutes first. Hope this clears it up...
Thanks

Upvote 0
markmac234 said:
Thanks for the reply. I mean 1.15 and not 1:15. It refers to 1 hour 15 minutes and not 1:15 am/pm. Basically I have to input flight hours into a table and more often than not they are in hours and minutes and not just minutes. The next column in the table is a running total for each row, which refers to a different aircraft. I have got the table working fine, but only if I use minutes i.e. 75 or 90 instead of 1hr 15, 1 hr 30 etc...Some of the hours I have to input are large so it would take a while converting all the inputs into minutes first. Hope this clears it up...
Thanks

Excel does not recognize 1.15 as 1:15. You can convert a true time value (1:15) to a decimal number by multiplying by 24 or a decimal (1.15) by dividing by 24. Either way, you'll have to be consistent in the data entry. 1.15 converted to a true time value is 1hr 09mins. 1:15 converted to a decimal is 1.25

Upvote 0
With 1.15 in A1, you could use
=INT(A1)/24+MOD(A1,1)/14.4

with an approriate time format to reflect 1:15

Upvote 0
Have a look at my post:

"Adding time and calculate"

maybe this can help you out (sorry i don't know how to make a link).

Good luck

Upvote 0
bullit,
find your post (link) from the search box-right click-copy then paste it in your new message box.

Colin.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aivin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back