Input past end of File, what does that mean ?

RompStar

So I use Access, someone who isn't here no more made a Metrics System using Access, and there is a FORM that I use to input a textfile.txt file into Access.

After doing it's thing, at the end, a window pops up saying:

"Input past end of file"

What does this mean ?

Thank you for your help.

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
This is the example of the text file that is being inputed for processing...

5339586,5555555555,FedEX,Inter-Office,8/31/2006 11:24:00,9/1/2006 7:57:00,9/1/2006 15:09:00
5339588,55555555555,FedEX,Inter-Office,8/31/2006 11:24:00,9/1/2006 7:57:00,9/8/2006 9:10:00
5339592,5555555555,FedEX,Inter-Office,8/31/2006 11:24:00,9/1/2006 8:00:00,9/1/2006 15:09:00

Whe reyou see 555555555555, I used that to replace the real tracking numbers, for confidentially reasons.

This file comes from Excel?
Suggestion: Why don't you try this?
Instead of saving as a .csv, simply save your data as an Excel spreadsheet...
Then open Access and import this spreadsheet... instead of importing a text file... select .xls and point to the file you just created.
This will create a new table.. most likely called Sheet1.
Check your data out, making sure it looks/feels the way it does when you import it as a text file.
Append this table to your data table.

You don't need to create a .csv file, remove the commas, then save as a .csv file... you can create a text file and use tab or space for the delimiter over using ",".
You don't need to export to .csv simply to import to Access.

This will eliminate the EOF error message also.

If this program was used for 3 years prior, and no problems until recently, something has changed. A program does not stop working on it's own, with all things being equal.

Upvote 0
Ok, I figured out.

The files that are fed into Access, I verified that the columns that house the Date/Time are good, then I deleted the entire column that houses the tracking nubmers or B.

And I rerun it and the error went away.

So there are character that Access dones't like in column B.

I would like to test to make sure my Access isn't corrupted and also the text.txt file is also not corrupted.

How does one test Access program corruption and the feed file ?

Upvote 0
Well, not being able to see what you are producing, I can only say that it looks more like your text file was corrupted rather than Access being at fault.

You seem to be very resistant to importing Excel directly into Access. I don't know why. The end result would be the same but you would be able to eliminate the "possiblity" of reproducing the same problem you report here.

If you were to follow my previous suggestion, importing as an Excel file, it would create a new table containing all the records your text file would have had. Then, you simply append this new table to your existing one... RecDisVol and you're done.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back