Inputing a dash in UPC

JCG82

Board Regular
I have 458 line's of UPC code. The UPC numbers have all the correct digits but they have a space after the first and last letter.

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Cjgough%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> 0 49000-02820 1<o:p></o:p>

I need to add a dash between the first and second letter and the second to last letter instead of the blank space. I'm hand keying it at the moment. Does anyone have any good suggestions to speed this process up a little ?

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
One quick and dirty solution is if you have everything in column A, insert the following formulas into B1 and C1, then copy down.

B1 =REPLACE(A1,FIND(" ",A1),1,"-")
C1 =REPLACE(B1,FIND(" ",B1),1,"-")
Nothing elegant, but it works!

Upvote 0
One quick and dirty solution is if you have everything in column A, insert the following formulas into B1 and C1, then copy down.

B1 =REPLACE(A1,FIND(" ",A1),1,"-")
C1 =REPLACE(B1,FIND(" ",B1),1,"-")
Nothing elegant, but it works!

Can't you just select the range and do find/replace as well?

Upvote 0
I would like to do the opposite (remove the dashes) but I want to do it in a date type formating.

Ex.: 07-02-02 would display: 070202

Pedy

Upvote 0
Assuming your data is in A1, and the dates are in Date Format:

Put the following formula in B1:

=IF(LEN(MONTH(A1))<2,"0"&MONTH(A1),MONTH(A1))&IF(LEN(DAY(A1))<2,"0"&DAY(A1),DAY(A1))&RIGHT(YEAR(A1),2)

Upvote 0
That works GREAT! THANKS !!!

But I would also need the year to display 2 digits for a total of 6 digits.

Ex 01-24-08 would display: 012408

Thanks again !

Pedy

Upvote 0
It will. It forces excel to pick the right 2 numbers. whether they be 89 or 00.

Upvote 0
It does indeed but I forgot to mention that I modified the formula to fit the yy-mm-dd format as follows:

=IF(LEN(YEAR(A19))<2,"0"&YEAR(A19),YEAR(A19))&IF(LEN(MONTH(A19))<2,"0"&MONTH(A19),MONTH(A19))&RIGHT(DAY(A19),2)

...and for a 07-04-12 it displays 20070412

Note that the cell format number is Date (01-03-14) and I am using 2007...

Pedy

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back