Insert a pdf into a worksheet, based on a cell's value

ROBINSON_US

I've conquered some pretty crazy stuff with vba but this one is a doozy... Not sure if this can even be done with vba, but, I need to insert a pdf file into my worksheet, based upon a cell's value - which is the corresponding pdf file name. I've attached a test sheet image; xl2bb seemed to screw up the layout and format. In cells A3, A7, A11 & A15, I have an invoice number. Below each of those cells, is another, with the text "Total Price Diff Charge". Right under that cell, I need to insert the pdf file that corresponds to the value in the cell above it.

I need to mention that I have a bunch of these sheets, all with 1500 or more entries. The layout is consistent, and doesn't change. So, the invoice number will always start with A3, and continue to A7, A11, A15, (every 4 rows, etc.), until the end of the worksheet.

Any insight would be considered a life saver!
Thanks
test.JPG

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Try this macro on a copy of your workbook, changing the PDFfolder string. It inserts PDF files in the active sheet and could be easily modified for multiple sheets.
VBA Code:
Public Sub Insert_PDFs()

Dim PDFfolder As String
    Dim PDFobj As OLEObject
    Dim r As Long

PDFfolder = "C:\path\to\PDFs\"
    If Right(PDFfolder, 1) <> "\" Then PDFfolder = PDFfolder & "\"

With ActiveSheet
        r = 3
        While Not IsEmpty(.Cells(r, "A").Value)
            If Dir(PDFfolder & .Cells(r, "A").Value & ".pdf") <> vbNullString Then
                Set PDFobj = .OLEObjects.Add(fileName:=PDFfolder & .Cells(r, "A").Value & ".pdf", Link:=False, DisplayAsIcon:=False, Left:=.Cells(r + 2, "A").Left + 2, Top:=.Cells(r + 2, "A").Top + 2)
            End If
            r = r + 4
        Wend
    End With

End Sub

Upvote 0
This works great, but crap. I think I should've clarified better: The pdf needs to be inserted right after that row with the "price diff" text in it. So, what it would look like would be the excel data, the pdf, then the excel data, another pdf, etc. This might be too much to accomplish via vba, but thought I'd ask.

Upvote 0
What is the code doing then?

Top:=.Cells(r + 2, "A").Top + 2 positions each PDF 2 rows below each invoice number row.
It was just sticking the pdf into the worksheet... That was my fault though, I should've been more clear as to where the pdf needed to be. Thank you

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back