Insert a picture and link it to the worksheet

Laure

Hi all,

I am not a pro of VBA but I managed to find an awesome code that allows me to insert pictures in column A according to the names written in column B. These pictures are loaded from the same file on the computer.

Here is the code :

Code:
Sub Affiche_Image()
Dim Ws As Worksheet                   ' Sert à manipuler plus facilement l'objet feuille
Dim Image As String                   ' Contiendra le nom de l'image
Dim Lg As Long                        ' Numéro de la dernière ligne colonne B

Set Ws = Sheets("Feuil1")                                           ' Nom de la feuille

Application.ScreenUpdating = False                                  ' Interdit le raffraîchissement d'écran

Efface_Images

With Ws

For Lg = 1 To .Range("B65536").End(xlUp).Row                      ' Parcourt de toute la colonne B

Image = ThisWorkbook.Path & "\CJ\" & .Cells(Lg, "B")        ' Répertoire à actualiser

On Error Resume Next                                            ' On s'affranchit des erreurs
      With .Pictures.Insert(Image).ShapeRange                       ' On insère l'image dont le nom est en colonne B
        .LockAspectRatio = msoFalse                                   ' On peut la redimmensionner comme on veut
        .Left = Ws.Cells(Lg, "A").Left                                ' Position gauche
        .Top = Ws.Cells(Lg, "A").Top                                  ' Position Haut
        .Width = Ws.Cells(Lg, "A").Width                              ' Largeur
        .Height = Ws.Cells(Lg, "A").Height                            ' hauteur
      End With
      If Err.Number > 0 Then                                          ' Si une erreur (image non présente)
        MsgBox .Cells(Lg, "B") & vbCr & "Image inexistante"           ' On le signale
      End If
    Next Lg
  End With
End Sub

The problem is that if I change the images in the root file or if I delete them, Excel does not display them anymore...

I found that with the LinkToFile and SaveWithDocument options, I could change this so that the pictures are definitely linked with the worksheet but I don't know how to properly write the code...

If somebody can help me that would be awesome.

Thank you all !!

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Hi and welcome!
try this
Rich (BB code):
Sub Affiche_Image()
Dim Ws As Worksheet                   ' Sert à manipuler plus facilement l'objet feuille

Set Ws = Sheets("Feuil1")                                           ' Nom de la feuille

Application.ScreenUpdating = False                                  ' Interdit le raffraîchissement d'écran

'Efface_Images

With Ws

For Lg = 1 To .Range("B65536").End(xlUp).Row                      ' Parcourt de toute la colonne B

Image = ThisWorkbook.Path & "\CJ\" & .Cells(Lg, "B")        ' Répertoire à actualiser

On Error Resume Next                                            ' On s'affranchit des erreurs

lft = Ws.Cells(Lg, "A").Left
        tp = Ws.Cells(Lg, "A").Top
        Wdh = Ws.Cells(Lg, "A").Width
        Hht = Ws.Cells(Lg, "A").Height

Application.ActiveSheet.Shapes.AddPicture Image, False, True, lft, tp, Wdh, Hht

If Err.Number > 0 Then                                          ' Si une erreur (image non présente)
      End If
    Next Lg
  End With
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dear Useful !

Thank you for answering me but I tried the code and it's not working, the error says "Compilation error: Undefined variable"... I know that the Shapes.AddPicture is the right function to use but I don't know enough to kow how to incorporate it into the code. Would you have by any chance another idea ?

Upvote 0
Dear Laure!

try to check the string below

Code:
Image = ThisWorkbook.Path & "\CJ\" & .Cells(Lg, "B")

If "CJ" isn't the folder name that your pictures located.

Upvote 0
In the original code, try changing this:
Code:
      With .Pictures.Insert(Image).ShapeRange                       ' On insère l'image dont le nom est en colonne B
        .LockAspectRatio = msoFalse                                   ' On peut la redimmensionner comme on veut
        .Left = Ws.Cells(Lg, "A").Left                                ' Position gauche
        .Top = Ws.Cells(Lg, "A").Top                                  ' Position Haut
        .Width = Ws.Cells(Lg, "A").Width                              ' Largeur
        .Height = Ws.Cells(Lg, "A").Height                            ' hauteur
      End With
to this:
Code:
ws.Shapes.AddPicture(filename:=Image, linktofile:=msoFalse, savewithdocument:=msoCTrue, _
Left:=ws.Cells(Lg, "A").Left, Top:=ws.Cells(Lg, "A").Top, Width:=ws.Cells(Lg, "A").Width, _
Height:=ws.Cells(Lg, "A").Height).LockAspectRatio = msoFalse

Upvote 0
Dear Useful,

Yes CJ is the name of the folder where all the pictures are located !

Dear RoryA,

I tried your solution but the error is as follow : an error has occured when importing this file : C:// CJ then "Execution error 1004: error defined by the application or the object"

Here is the code I tried :

Code:
Sub Affiche_Image()

Efface_Images

With Ws

Ws.Shapes.AddPicture(Filename:=Image, linktofile:=msoFalse, savewithdocument:=msoCTrue, _
Left:=Ws.Cells(Lg, "A").Left, Top:=Ws.Cells(Lg, "A").Top, Width:=Ws.Cells(Lg, "A").Width, _
Height:=Ws.Cells(Lg, "A").Height).LockAspectRatio = msoFalse

End If
    Next Lg
  End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
Dear Useful,

Yes CJ is the name of the folder where all the pictures are located !

Dear RoryA,

I tried your solution but the error is as follow : an error has occured when importing this file : C:// CJ then "Execution error 1004: error defined by the application or the object"

Here is the code I tried :

Code:
Sub Affiche_Image()

Efface_Images

With Ws

Ws.Shapes.AddPicture(Filename:=Image, linktofile:=msoFalse, savewithdocument:=msoCTrue, _
Left:=Ws.Cells(Lg, "A").Left, Top:=Ws.Cells(Lg, "A").Top, Width:=Ws.Cells(Lg, "A").Width, _
Height:=Ws.Cells(Lg, "A").Height).LockAspectRatio = msoFalse

End If
    Next Lg
  End With
End Sub

Hello first mark - Efface_Images line as text (or remove) and after line below

Code:
Image = ThisWorkbook.Path & "\CJ\" & .Cells(Lg, "B")

use

Code:
on error resume next

and it'll work fine

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back