Insert blank row after paste in VBA

Davebro

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2021
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have the following VBA to copy cells into a sheet 2, is there any way that when I paste it inserts a blank row after the paste?

Sub copycolumns()
Dim lastrow As Long, erow As Long

lastrow = Sheet1.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
For i = 2 To lastrow
If Sheet1.Cells(i, 10) = "Home" And Sheet1.Cells(i, 1) > 2 Then
Sheet1.Cells(i, 1).Copy
erow = Sheet2.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0).Row
Sheet1.Paste Destination:=Worksheets("Sheet2").Cells(erow, 1)

Sheet1.Cells(i, 2).Copy
Sheets("Sheet2").Cells(erow, 2).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues

Sheet1.Cells(i, 3).Copy
Sheet1.Paste Destination:=Worksheets("Sheet2").Cells(erow, 3)

Sheet1.Cells(i, 10).Copy
Sheet1.Paste Destination:=Worksheets("Sheet2").Cells(erow, 4)

End If
Next i

Application.CutCopyMode = False
Sheet2.Columns.AutoFit
Range("A1").Select

End Sub

I don't understand what you are saying in your last post.

What you asked for was

and later

If you had data down to A5 then

Sheet2.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp) would find A5 and .Row would give the row number 5.
Sheet2.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0) would find A5 and Offset by 1 row i.e A6 and .Row would give the row number 6.
Sheet2.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0).Row as above gives Row 6 and show + 1 gives Row 7.

So

Sheet2.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row would paste in Row 5 and overwrite the data.
Sheet2.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0).Row would paste in Row 6 so the row below the data.
Sheet2.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0).Row +1 would paste in Row 7 so 2 rows below the data (data-blank row-paste row).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the below I don't think that you want a row after each paste. I think that you want a blank row after each change of data. Which is different.

Can you please clarify with a manual example (about 10 rows) using the boards XL2BB addin of how you want Sheet2 to look at the end please

Yes it is blank row after each change of data. Sorry if not making myself clear.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Keep your original code and when it is finished then run the sub below.

Code:
Sub InsertBlankRows()

Dim LastRow As Long
    Dim i As Long

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    LastRow = Sheets("Sheet2").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row

For i = LastRow To 2 Step -1
        If Sheets("Sheet2").Cells(i, "A") <> Sheets("Sheet2").Cells(i - 1, "A") Then Sheets("Sheet2").Rows(i).Insert
    Next i

Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
Sub InsertBlankRows() Dim LastRow As Long Dim i As Long Application.ScreenUpdating = False LastRow = Sheets("Sheet2").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row For i = LastRow To 2 Step -1 If Sheets("Sheet2").Cells(i, "A") <> Sheets("Sheet2").Cells(i - 1, "A") Then Sheets("Sheet2").Rows(i).Insert Next i Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub

I pasted my data in, then ran the macro and it put a space between each row of data

data

data

data

Upvote 0
It will only put a blank row in if there is a difference in the cell value from one cell in column A to the cell above it.
If you think otherwise then use the boards XL2BB addin to post a screenshot of your data after you have run your original code (please use the board addin, do not post an image).

Upvote 0
It will only put a blank row in if there is a difference in the cell value from one cell in column A to the cell above it.
If you think otherwise then use the boards XL2BB addin to post a screenshot of your data after you have run your original code (please use the board addin, do not post an image).

I do not want to post the personal data I am using, but what happens is I run one of my macro's and it paste the data in

Data
Data
Data
Data
Data

when I run the the insertblankrows macro it transforms the pasted data with a blank row after every row of data

Data

Data

Data

Data

Upvote 0
Doesn't for me
123 (1).xlsb
A
1qqq
2qqq
3aa
4aa
5aa
6aa
7aaa
8bb
9bb
10bb
11bb
12cc
13cc
14ddd
15ddd
16ddd
17ddd
Sheet3

becomes
123 (1).xlsb
A
1qqq
2qqq
4aa
5aa
6aa
7aa
9aaa
11bb
12bb
13bb
14bb
16cc
17cc
19ddd
20ddd
21ddd
22ddd
Sheet2

The only way it would do what you describe is if there is a difference between the cell value from one cell in column A to the cell above it. Only question I will ask is are the cells constants or formulas?

Upvote 0
Doesn't for me
123 (1).xlsb
A
1qqq
2qqq
3aa
4aa
5aa
6aa
7aaa
8bb
9bb
10bb
11bb
12cc
13cc
14ddd
15ddd
16ddd
17ddd
Sheet3

becomes
123 (1).xlsb
A
1qqq
2qqq
4aa
5aa
6aa
7aa
9aaa
11bb
12bb
13bb
14bb
16cc
17cc
19ddd
20ddd
21ddd
22ddd
Sheet2

The only way it would do what you describe is if there is a difference between the cell value from one cell in column A to the cell above it. Only question I will ask is are the cells constants or formulas?

How very strange, the cells are constants. I have tried it with five different macro's.

Upvote 0
I am afraid there isn't much I can do for you if you can't supply a desensitised version of your data to test.
Just out of interest (after running your original macro) if in row 3 (I am assuming here that your data starts in row 2) of a blank column you put either the formula =A3=A2 or =EXACT(A3,A2) and drag it down how many TRUE's do you get?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am afraid there isn't much I can do for you if you can't supply a desensitised version of your data to test.
Just out of interest (after running your original macro) if in row 3 (I am assuming here that your data starts in row 2) of a blank column you put the either the formula =A3=A2 or =EXACT(A3,A2) and drag it down how many TRUE's do you get?
When I run =A3=A2 with my my macro and paste i get all True, when run I the InsertBlankRows I get

FALSE
TRUE
FALSE
TRUE
FALSE
TRUE
FALSE

Upvote 0
Strange result for the first test with the results that you are getting but I am afraid that I am at a dead end now without seeing any data.

You can try the code below but I am expecting the same result.

VBA Code:
Sub InsertRows1()

With Application
        .ScreenUpdating = False
        .DisplayAlerts = False
    End With

With Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A1", Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
        .Subtotal GroupBy:=1, Function:=xlSum, TotalList:=Array(1), _
        Replace:=True, PageBreaks:=False, SummaryBelowData:=True

.Offset(2, -1).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants).Offset(, 1).ClearContents

.Offset(, -1).EntireColumn.Delete

.EntireColumn.RemoveSubtotal
    End With

With Application
        .DisplayAlerts = True
        .ScreenUpdating = True
    End With
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back