Insert Cell problem - only allows row or column insert

controltheweb

On one worksheet, attempts to insert a cell are thwarted--only insert row or column is allowed--other options are grayed out.

I've tried cells across the ENTIRE worksheet, and they all exhibit the same behavior. However, it DOES work normally if I copy and paste part of it into a new sheet.

Is there some setting that can affect an entire sheet? There are no merged cells, or hidden rows or columns.

(Yes, I am sure I am not selecting more than one cell!)

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Sounds to me like the workbook you are in is shared.
Go to Tools/Share Workbook to verify.
You'll need to unshare it to see it work properly.

Upvote 0
Is the workbook protected?

In XL2002 if I protect the sheet but leave myself options to select locked & unlocked cells and insert rows & columns, I can recreate your problem. Other than that, can't find a thing on it.

Upvote 0
On one worksheet, attempts to insert a cell are thwarted--only insert row or column is allowed--other options are grayed out.

I've tried cells across the ENTIRE worksheet, and they all exhibit the same behavior. However, it DOES work normally if I copy and paste part of it into a new sheet.

Is there some setting that can affect an entire sheet? There are no merged cells, or hidden rows or columns.

(Yes, I am sure I am not selecting more than one cell!)

Check that there are no filters active!

Hopefully you solved your problem 11 years ago, but for the randoms that make it to this page via a google search like myself, if you find that all of a sudden you are not able to add a cell, and only able to add a row or column, check to make sure no filters are active. That stumped me for a while. Excel will not let you add a single cell while filters are active.

Upvote 0

Hopefully you solved your problem 11 years ago, but for the randoms that make it to this page via a google search like myself, if you find that all of a sudden you are not able to add a cell, and only able to add a row or column, check to make sure no filters are active. That stumped me for a while. Excel will not let you add a single cell while filters are active.

I'm a random! Was looking for some more complicated issue, but sure enough, this was it.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

And nearly four years after the last random, another random (me) has been helped. Filter off, problem solved.

Upvote 0

I opened this account today to say thank you. For the last one hour, I am breaking my head on this. Yes-Filter off and new cells can be inserted. Shortcut "Ctrl+" also will not work unless filters are off. Very strange and definitely a new learning. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
254 days later and a random does not have filters enabled and i can't add cells, the system (o365) will only allow me to add table columns or table rows

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Torchwood72

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back