Insert formula based on adjacent columns in same row

mjtolent

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Morning All,

Wondered if you could assist. I have a report that lists a load of projects (column A e.g.), with a division (column B) with the sales (column C) and costs (D) for the period. Column E has a calculation of the margin (column C-D) and column F is the profit% (column E/C).

The data is imported by a macro and then sorted and sub-totalled by division. The sales, costs and margin columns have a sum total by division inserted by the macro, but I'm struggling with the margin % as I can't just sum it as part of the macro (it needs to be the total margin for the division / divided the total sales for the division).

I created the code below to select the column that contains the blank cells where the formula needs to go at the end of each division, but I'm struggling how to make the formula look at the relevant cells on the same row.

VBA Code:
Range("E4").Select
    Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlDown)).Select
    Selection.Offset(0, 1).Select

For Each cell In Selection
    If cell.Value = vbNullString Then cell.formula =
    Next cell

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
You need to break down what you want to do step by step because I am confused to what your asking. Example take data from column A and put it in column C on the same row.

Upvote 0
Apologies.
In the subtotal line for each division, in Column F, I need a calculation of column E divided by Column C

Upvote 0
Try this code then...
VBA Code:
Range("F" & ActiveCell.Row).Value = Range("E" & ActiveCell.Row).Value / Range("C" & ActiveCell.Row).Value

Upvote 0
Thanks for taking the time Trixterz, although I'm struggling to incorporate this code into a loop (getting an invalid call procedure error amongst others)

VBA Code:
Range("L5").Select

Dim myrange As Range
    myrange = Selection

For Each cell In myrange
    If cell.Value = vbNullString Then myrange("M" & ActiveCell.Row).Value = myrange("L" & ActiveCell.Row).Value / myrange("K" & ActiveCell.Row).Value
    Next cell

How can I get the vba to check my range for blank cells and then use your code to apply the calculation?
Thanks

mj

Upvote 0
There are many cells in the worksheet, you need to be more specific on what cells you want to check?

Upvote 0
OK, so I'm selecting all values in column L using
VBA Code:
Range("L5").Select

I'm then moving across to column M using (column that contains blank cells)
Code:

Column M contains a calculation for every row within the selected range apart from on the subtotal rows. I want excel to find those blank cells and apply the calculation

Upvote 0
So if column M is a blank cell... what calculation are you referring to that you want to apply to column M?

Upvote 0
Value on the same row in column L divided by the value on the same row in column K

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocbudda

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back