Insert Menu/Names/Create

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Hi - welcome to the board!

How about posting back with a bit more info on what you are actually trying to do!

Paddy

Upvote 0
Hi, Paddy!

Well, what I'm trying to do is to learn how each function on the Excel menus works by going through them one at a time. And on the Insert menu, I'm getting stuck because while the Help feature explains generally what each button does, nothing actually tells me how to make it happen.

For instance, when I go to the Insert menu and bring up the Names sub-menu, I click on the Create button and nothing happens. The tutorial tipped me off that I needed to select more than one cell, so I did that, but it still doesn't appear to do anything when I click on the Create button. So I guess what I'm asking is, what part of the job is the tutorial not telling me? Do I need to have the cursor in a special position? Is there some other step involved that I'm not aware of? Any help you can give is deeply appreciated!

David

Upvote 0
OK - you use 'names' to refer to worksheet areas, which might be one or more cells (the cells do not necessarily have to be contiguous). Try this to get you going:

1) put some numbers in cells a1 - a5.
2) select the cells
3) go to insert | names | define. Type in a name (eg myfirstrange) & click 'add'. Click 'OK'
4) in a spare cell, put in the following formula:

=sum(myfirstrange)

see what you get!

Paddy

Upvote 0
Oops - forgot to tell you what the 'create' bit does!!

The create option is basically a shortcut - with data set up right, excel will 'define' the names for you. Try this -

1) set up a dumy table with, e.g., dates as the column headings in row1 & some data in a few rows below the headings.
2) select the entire table & go insert | name | create. Excel will probably have selected 'Top row' as the option - click OK.
3) Press F5 (keyboard shortcut for the "go to' option) - you should see your column headings as named ranges. select on & it should highlight the data area under the column that you selected.

Benefits of using 'create' - easy to set up a large number of named ranges quickly
Limitations - Don't get to choose your own names, areas are not dynamic etc.

Paddy

Upvote 0
Hi dpeattie !!

I am not that expert, but I have found out that if I know the range name, I can just write it in the "Name Box" & it will directly highlight the range. I think this is another trick.

Thanks to Paddy & eveyone here.

Excello

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moonlight6

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back