Insert Picture from File increases Excel File Size more than the picture you inserting - WHY????

neib188

I am putting together a price list in excel and using images and hyperlinks to jazz it up a bit - what I am finding is that if I insert a 25KB GIF image, the excel file grows in size by over 100KB - why is this disproportionate growth happening and is there a way around it - I dont want my Price List growing too large but need the images....?

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Hi,

The bloat you're experiencing is perfectly normal. Inserting images into your sheet causes the Excel-file to increase in size more than the size of the picture itself.

Workaround: store your picture not in the Excel-file, but external (e.g. pics-folder) and link to them via VBA or something...

Check out this previous discussion:

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77483

HTH!
thumbup.gif

Upvote 0
I was wanting to distibute just the spreadsheet to my customers and thats why I wanted the images embedded - thanks though....

Upvote 0
Have you tried compressing them after inserting them?

Upvote 0
The images were compressed in Photoshop before inserting them into Excel so excel does not really compress them much more than they already are....

Upvote 0
Then you are out of luck I suspect. I just inserted a 30KB gif file into a workbook and the file size grew by about 30KB so I can't really say for sure why you are experiencing that much bloat, but you could just distribute the images with the workbook as separate files?

Upvote 0
Not sure why either - I inserted a 8KB Gif and the file grew by 55KB - I reckon HTML is the way to go with this price list....

Upvote 0
Which version of Excel are you using, incidentally?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spamiki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back