Insert Rows/Columns in large workbook

wbemis

I have a large workbook (approx 70MB) w/ approx 100 similar tabs. When I try inserting rows & columns (w/ all tabs highlighted), Excel 2010 tries to process for several mins, then says I don't have the resources to complete the operation. Is there anything I can do to help it along? I have 8GB & i5 2.53 laptop.
I greatly appreciate any ideas.

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
I never worked with such large workbooks. If your workbook xml-based (has xlsx or xlsm extentions), back your file up and then convert it to <tt>*.xlsb.

If this doesn't help significantly, I guess you'd have no other option but to disable automatic calculation. When you insert a row/column, you will have to manually recalculate. Use </tt>SHIFT+F9 to recalculate the active worksheet or F9 to recalculate the entire workbook. Then see what happens :)
<tt>
</tt>

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for the reply! Can you plz explain a little more about .xlsb? I can't find much about it. BTW, I'm using Excel 2010.

Upvote 0
xlsb is a binary format, the same zip container instead of XML data containing binary data, and is recommended for very large workbook to improve performance. I can't tell for sure but I doubt it will help significantly. You really need to try and see if there's noticeable difference.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradel

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back