Insert space between each charcter

JohnExcel222

Office Version
  1. 365
INSERT A SPACE INTO A TEXT VALUE
Hi there,
I would like to add a space between each charcter, using a formula ( no VBA ).
A1: TREE
B1: T R E E

Thanks

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Re: INSERT A SPACE INTO A TEXT VALUE

I would like to add a space between each character, using a formula ( no VBA ).
A1: TREE
B1: T R E E
You might be able to do this with a formula if you are using Excel 365 (I am not sure because I am not using that version of Excel), but if you are not using that version, I am pretty sure you will not be able to do it with a formula. I am about to go to sleep, so I won't see your response for a few hours, so I am going to give you a VBA UDF (user defined function) solution on the off-chance you will need to use it...
Code:
Function Spaced(S As String) As String
  Spaced = Trim(Replace(StrConv(S, vbUnicode), Chr(0), " "))
End Function

HOW TO INSTALL UDFs
------------------------------------
If you are new to UDFs, they are easy to install and use. To install it, simply press ALT+F11 to go into the VB editor and, once there, click Insert/Module on its menu bar, then copy/paste the above code into the code window that just opened up. That's it.... you are done. You can now use Spaced just like it was a built-in Excel function. For example,

=Spaced(A1)

If you are using XL2007 or above, make sure you save your file as an "Excel Macro-Enabled Workbook (*.xlsm) and answer the "do you want to enable macros" question as "yes" or "OK" (depending on the button label for your version of Excel) the next time you open your workbook.

Upvote 0
If you use Excel 2016 (Office 365) , TEXTJOIN function can easily handle that

Upvote 0
@JohnExcel222
Please do not post the same question multiple times. All clarifications, follow-ups, and bumps should be posted back to the original thread.
Per forum rules, posts of a duplicate nature will be locked or deleted (rule 12 here: Forum Rules).
I have deleted your other post.

Upvote 0
Hi,

As an alternative with regular expressions ...

Code:
Function SpaceCaps(Txt As String) As String
' Insert Space Before Capitals
  With CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp")
       .Pattern = "([A-Z]([a-z]+)?)"
       .Global = True
       SpaceCaps = LTrim(.Replace(Txt, " $1"))
  End With
End Function

HTH

Upvote 0
Hi,

As an alternative with regular expressions ...

Code:
Function SpaceCaps(Txt As String) As String
' Insert Space Before Capitals
  With CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp")
       .Pattern = "([A-Z]([a-z]+)?)"
       .Global = True
       SpaceCaps = LTrim(.Replace(Txt, " $1"))
  End With
End Function

HTH

Just wondering... do you really like the above solution better than the somewhat simple one-liner that I posted in Message #2?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you use Excel 2016 (Office 365) , TEXTJOIN function can easily handle that
I thought Excel 2016 was different than Excel 365. No matter, I have a question for you... does Excel 365 have a function equivalent to VB's Split function (one that could be used to break delimited text around those delimiters into an array of values)?

Upvote 0
I thought Excel 2016 was different than Excel 365. No matter, I have a question for you... does Excel 365 have a function equivalent to VB's Split function (one that could be used to break delimited text around those delimiters into an array of values)?
As i understand it, the Office 365 is a subscription that can include for example the Office 2016 suite and should now include Excel/Office 2019 and these versions contain all the new functions but if you get the regular Excel 2016 without the Office 365 subscription, you dont have access to the new functions

As to a formula equivalent for the VBA Split function, none exists in Office 365, but that should be very simple to implement. I am sure you have a one-liner UDF for that :)

Upvote 0
As to a formula equivalent for the VBA Split function, none exists in Office 365, but that should be very simple to implement. I am sure you have a one-liner UDF for that :)
I do, of course :LOL:, but I asked to clarify whether a straight formula solution could be implemented or not.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back