Inserting a row with a formula into a protected worksheet

winterjade

Good Evening Excelperts

I like to think I am an intermediate excel user, but like everyone I know really well the functions that I utilize daily and I know that I have lots to learn!

So, first if anyone knows of a great learning resource I would happily check them out! *Keep in mind that I am situated in Mid Alberta CA

Second...Here is my head scratcher:

I have an excel sheet that lists residents of a building in alphabetical order. There are columns to enter the rent/laundry/communications and so on leading up to a column that sums up the row. The person that is manning this spreadsheet is a novice excel user so I want to protect the spreadsheet so that the formula can not be over written. The user needs to be able to insert a row where needed in the spreadsheet. This I can do already.

What is tripping me up is to have the formula auto fill in as well. The formula is just a simple sum (example: =SUM(E5:R5)

So ultimately I would like to be able to inert the row where needed and have the appropriate formula populate (if I insert a row and it is 20 the formula should read =SUM(E20:R20) or is it is row 26 it would be =SUM(E26:R26) and so on) All the while keeping the sheet protected.

I have tried a different approach which was to create a template row that has everything that I need (formula and colour of row that we use for new residents) While protected I thought that I could just copy the row and "Insert copied cells" but all I get is a message "The cell or chart you're trying to change is on a protected sheet. To make changes, click unprotect sheet in the review tab, you might need a password"

Please let me know if you need further information in order to help me.

I have seen others with the same challenge, but I am VERY new to the Macros/VBA coding...so I find it confusing as how to make what is offered work for my spreadsheet.

Thank you in advance Everyone! and I hope one day to pay it forward.

Winter

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back