Inserting columns and keeping formula in row 5, but clearing the contents below row 5

pattishort

I apologize in advance for the lengthy post, but it's better to have the detail up front.

Excel version: 2010

GOAL: Insert additional columns, which are blank (except for the sequential number in row 5), in the table as needed. The sequential numbers in row 5 have a formula (=COLUMN(C$5)-2) and represent the procedure steps that are on a different worksheet of the workbook. Therefore, as the user does their testing and modify the procedure by adding steps, they should be able to insert additional columns to represent those steps.

STEPS to insert new columns:
1. Select a cell in a column to which to add new columns (columns are added after active column).
2. Click the Insert Columns button.
3. Enter number of columns to add after active column.
4. Click OK to add columns.

CURRENT BEHAVIOR: When the user clicks the Insert Columns button, new columns ARE added but the content from the active column (below row 5) is copied over to the new columns.

EXPECTED BEHAVIOR: When the user clicks the Insert Columns button, new columns are added and the contents below row 5 are cleared. This is the same concept as my Add Rows button, which adds the rows, keeps the formula, and clears the contents starting in column B.
I’ve spent quite a bit of time searching the internet for answers on how to get this to work. I’ve tried different things with the code and have had some interesting results. For example, if 1 column is added the column is added before the active column with the contents cleared. Or if I want to add 3 columns a single column is added before the active column but the remaining columns are added after the active column with the contents of the active column. In other words, everything “I” have tried hasn’t worked successfully.

I think I’ve isolated the portion of the code that is giving me heartburn, but I’m not 100% positive.

QUESTION: What is it that I’m missing in the code to insert columns and clearing the content below row 5?

Code:
Sub InsertColumnsAndFillFormulas_caller()  '-- this macro shows on Tools, Macro..., Macros (Alt+F8) dialog
  Call InsertColumnsAndFillFormulas
End Sub

Sub InsertColumnsAndFillFormulas(Optional vCols As Long = 0)
     ' Column selection based on active cell
    Dim x As Long

ActiveCell.EntireColumn.Select 'So you do not have to preselect entire column

If vCols = 0 Then
        vCols = Application.InputBox(prompt:= _
        "How many columns do you want to add?", Title:="Add Columns", _
        Default:=1, Type:=1) 'Default for 1 column, type 1 is number
        If vCols = False Then Exit Sub
    End If

Dim Sht As Worksheet, shts() As String, i As Long
    ReDim shts(1 To Worksheets.Application.ActiveWorkbook.Windows(1).SelectedSheets.Count)
    i = 0

For Each Sht In Application.ActiveWorkbook.Windows(1).SelectedSheets
        Sheets(Sht.Name).Select
         '---------------------------------------------------------------------------
        ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:="justme"

i = i + 1
        shts(i) = Sht.Name
        x = Sheets(Sht.Name).UsedRange.Columns.Count 'lastcell fixup

'---------------------------------------------------------------------
      'having issues with the following code -- I need to be able to clear the contents in the added column after
      'it's been added, except for the formulas in row 5.

Selection.Resize(Columnsize:=2).Columns(2).EntireColumn.Resize(Columnsize:=vCols).Insert Shift:=xlToRight

Selection.AutoFill Selection.Resize(Columnsize:=vCols + 1), xlFillDefault

On Error Resume Next
       Selection.Offset(-1).Resize(Val(vCols)).EntireColumn.SpecialCells(xlConstants).ClearContents

'-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ActiveSheet.Protect Password:="justme", DrawingObjects:=False, contents:=True, Scenarios:=True, _
        AllowFormattingCells:=True, AllowFormattingRows:=True, _
        AllowInsertingColumns:=True, AllowDeletingColumns:=True, AllowInsertingRows:=True, _
        AllowInsertingHyperlinks:=True, AllowDeletingRows:=True

Next Sht
    Worksheets(shts).Select
End Sub

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camelliaCase

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back