Inserting dynamic arrows

johnnic

Board Regular
I want to insert an arrow into a cell that will change its shape and color, ie up or down - green or red, dependant on the relationship between two cells.

For example, if a current share price moves above its purchase price, I want the arrow to be upward and green and if it has moved down I want it to be downward and red.

I'd really appreciate some advice on this one?

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Try the following codes:
Code:
Sub Macro2()
   If ActiveCell.Value < 1000 Then

ActiveCell = ActiveCell.Value & "↓"
    ActiveCell.Characters(Start:=Len(ActiveCell.Text), Length:=1).Font.Color = vbRed
    Else
    If ActiveCell.Value > 2000 Then

ActiveCell = ActiveCell.Value & "↑"
    ActiveCell.Characters(Start:=Len(ActiveCell.Text), Length:=1).Font.Color = vbGreen
    End If
    End If
End Sub
Best Regards

Upvote 0
A simpler way that does not require code nor does it mess with the cell value being numeric.

Suppose your value of interest is in A4, the lower threshold (below which you want to see the red down arrow) is in B4, and the upper threshold (above which you get the green up arrow) is in C4.

Then, in D4 enter the formula =IF(A4< B4,"↓",IF(A4 >C4,"↑","")) where I got the up and down arrows using Insert | Symbol...

Select D4 and add 2 conditional formats (Format | Conditional Formatting...)

Change the first drop down to 'Formula Is'. Enter the formula =$A$4>$C$4. Click the Format... button and select the Green color. Back in the C.F. dialog box, click the Add>> button. For the 2nd C.F. change the drop down to 'Formula Is'. In the text box, enter the formula =$A$4<$B$4. Click the Format... button, and pick the Red color. OK to close all dialog boxes.

Edit: If you want to try a new add-in I put together over the past few days, see
Generating an audio alert
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/publish_train/xl_vba_cases/TM_Audio_Alerts.htm

I want to insert an arrow into a cell that will change its shape and color, ie up or down - green or red, dependant on the relationship between two cells.

For example, if a current share price moves above its purchase price, I want the arrow to be upward and green and if it has moved down I want it to be downward and red.

I'd really appreciate some advice on this one?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cancansova

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back