Inserting formula using VBA

Andman0

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All,

I'm trying to make a command which automatically inserts a row into the pictured sheet below with formulas in each cell, and I'm not quite sure how to have the command input the right cell reference into the formulas; I want it to reference a cell in the active cell's row and a specific column.

For instance, the formula in cell A4 is: =ROW(A4)-(1+COUNTBLANK(OFFSET(A4,ROW($A$1)-ROW(A4),0):OFFSET(A4,-1,0))), which calculates the number of the line item, not including the top row or any header rows.
When I hit the "insert row" command button with the current active cell somewhere in row 4, I'd want it to create a new row with that formula in A4, and if the active cell were in row 5 I'd want the A4 references to be A5.

I'm rather new to VBA so I apologize if this is trivial to accomplish and I'm just missing something, thank you!

Screenshot 2022-11-18 154723.png

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Wouldn't it be simpler if A2 on down had =Row()-1 as a formula, then if the code inserts a row, set the cell formula to =Row()-1?
Your formula looks much more complicated for the same thing. However, I chose -1 because you only show 1 header row. I'm guessing your existing code already handles the row insertion, so the missing piece is setting the cell formula in A in that row?
Maybe I'm not grasping the whole picture...

Upvote 0
Wouldn't it be simpler if A2 on down had =Row()-1 as a formula, then if the code inserts a row, set the cell formula to =Row()-1?
Your formula looks much more complicated for the same thing. However, I chose -1 because you only show 1 header row. I'm guessing your existing code already handles the row insertion, so the missing piece is setting the cell formula in A in that row?
Maybe I'm not grasping the whole picture...
Hi,

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that there could be any number of headers, as there's another button which inserts a header with text in column D. I have the countblank there to count up the number of headers above so the line item numbers don't include them in the numbering. I used to use direct cell references for the numbering, but changed it to offset because using the direct references would give a #REF error if I deleted a line or would mess up the numbering if I inserted a row manually, and I'd have to copy the formula from another cell.

I was able to simplify the formula a bit more, looking at it again I was a bit excessive with the offset use as I didn't realize I could just use $A$1 for the countblank range beginning since it will never be deleted: =ROW(A2)-(1+COUNTBLANK($A$1:OFFSET(A2,-1,0))).

My existing code already inserts a row in the activecell's row, I just don't know how to insert a formula with cell references in VBA.

VBA Code:
Private Sub CommandButton4_Click()
Call AddBlankRow(ActiveCell.Row)
End Sub

VBA Code:
Sub AddBlankRow(in_row)
    Rows(in_row).Select
    Selection.Insert Shift:=xlDown
End Sub

Upvote 0
Assuming your code activates the cell in the inserted row, you're asking for this sort of thing then?
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 ="=ROW(A2)-(1+COUNTBLANK($A$1:OFFSET(A2,-1,0))))

Upvote 0
Assuming your code activates the cell in the inserted row, you're asking for this sort of thing then?
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 ="=ROW(A2)-(1+COUNTBLANK($A$1:OFFSET(A2,-1,0))))
Yes kind of, however I'd want it to insert with a reference to the cell in whichever row the original active cell is in. So for row 2 it would insert =ROW()-(1+COUNTBLANK($A$1:OFFSET(A2,-1,0))), but in row 4 it would insert =ROW()-(1+COUNTBLANK($A$1:OFFSET(A4,-1,0))).

Upvote 0
You described this as happening when a cell is active so you should be able to first get the row number using Row()?
Not sure if you can concatenate as in
:OFFSET(A & (ROW(),-1,0))) or set Row() to a variable and concatenate that
:OFFSET(A & lngRow & ,-1,0)))

I would have to try. Not sure I have the time right now - have to go and get my snow tires put on soon. :(
EDIT - I think you're using a button to activate code so you'd likely have to use ActiveCell.Row, not just Row or Row()

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK, didn't take long to try. This seems to work, unless maybe not for you because I'm not inserting rows, just making the formula base itself on the active row

ActiveCell.Formula = "=ROW()-(1+COUNTBLANK($A$1:OFFSET(A" & ActiveCell.Row & ",-1,0)))"

Upvote 0
Solution
OK, didn't take long to try. This seems to work, unless maybe not for you because I'm not inserting rows, just making the formula base itself on the active row

ActiveCell.Formula = "=ROW()-(1+COUNTBLANK($A$1:OFFSET(A" & ActiveCell.Row & ",-1,0)))"
This works great! I should be able to use that method to insert row numbers into the other formulas in the row's cells as well, thank you!

Upvote 0
Glad to see that you have a solution!
Thanks.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webster33

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back