Inserting last auto-generated ids

Vbanoob98

Board Regular
I have a linked table from excel which I refresh every month and export the data to another Access table. This table generates an autoid for each row which I copy and then paste back into the excel. After this I export the data with the ID to another Access table.

I was wondering if there was a way to autmate this to reduce user error. Thanks a lot

Excel linked table-->access table 1 (generates ID)--->back to excel linked table-->access table 2

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
This doesn't sound particularly error prone, although it does seem a little like a long-winded process. What is the point of creating these ID's? Why not create them directly in Excel instead of using this process to generate IDs in Access?

Upvote 0
The people that would be using it dont know how to copy/paste with Ctrl+C,V.

Table 1 assigns an ID to the row information from excel (can be 1 row or 10k rows inserted with another method), then Table 2 assigns another ID to that row information. This is so data From Table 1 is grouped but still remains individual with the help of Table2

In excel I would just do a concatenate+vlookup and would get the required IDs but here in access I cant seem to find how. I have found similar threads but the answers dont work in this situation or seems too high level :/

I was hoping for an easy fix, although maybe there isnt

Upvote 0
Maybe you could get this done on the Excel side. Perhaps with just the concatenat+vlookup formula you are talking about. It used to be you could not update Excel linked workbooks from Access. For that reason (and others) I generally prefer not to work with Excel linked workbooks as tables (except in rare cases, and then only as read-only tables).

Upvote 0
But I cant do vlooukp from excel to access right?

I was wondering if there was a way to query the last inserted rows

So If I appended from my excel table to Table 1 10 rows, I could somehow query only those 10 rows, then I could use that to insert into table 2. Or something like that

Upvote 0
A quick test shows me that it is not possible to insert or update a linked excel spreadsheet (which is what I thought was the case). So no, you could not use Table1 to insert into Table2 (assuming Table2 is a linked Excel spreadsheet).

Upvote 0
If Table2 is a local table you can do inserts or updates or whatever you need to do, that is correct. I don't see any reason to use a second table - why not just do the updates in the table directly?

Upvote 0
There is a form that is used to input the data in the two tables directly (Table 1 and 2), but its 1 by 1

Im trying to find a way to upload the data in batches so that it can be done faster.

If the excel table is local, how can I retrieve the autogenerated number from Table 1?

1. Data from the excel (local file)---->2.
Name, Amount, Address, Total

2. Table1 adds ID----->3.
Name, Amount, Address, Total, ID

3. Data from the excel (local file) recieves ID ----->4.
Name, Amount, Address, Total, ID

4. Table 2 adds second ID----->Done
Name, Amount, Address, Total, ID, ID2

Upvote 0
The short answer is that if you don't know the id you will have to look it up by Name, Amount, Address and Total.

Code:
Select ID from Table 
    where Name = 'Olaf' and Amount = '10.00' and Address = 'Arendell' and Total = '100.00'

Overall this is a somewhat awkward workflow - you are mixing data in 3 places (two local tables plus an Excel table). That's probably just not the best structure to begin with - so not sure you want to stay on this path.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tanurai

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back