inserting rows - above or below current lines

Todd77

Hi all,

I'm a very new VBA user, so this question might seem a little simple and obvious.

When recently looking for code to create blank rows based on cell values, I noticed that all codes read the rows of data from bottom to top, inserting blank rows above the rows already there instead of inserting them below. Why is this the case? Is that a programming standard? Does it make a difference how the code reads the data and where the blank rows are inserted relative to the cells containing the values on which the code is acting?

Todd77

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
To insert a blank row below a certain value you can use something like
Code:
Sub Todd77()
   Dim i As Long

For i = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row To 2 Step -1
      If Cells(i, 1).Value = "abc" Then Rows(i + 1).Insert
   Next i
End Sub
When inserting/deleting rows it's generally better to work from bottom to top.

Upvote 0
But why? Does the process crash if it were to read the code from top to bottom and insert rows below instead of above?

Upvote 0
It wouldn't crash but it would only work correctly for the first line, unless it is written very carefully (and inefficiently).

When you loop through the rows from top to bottom, the inserted rows become part of the loop. Working with just rows 2 and 3.

Select row 2 and insert a new row above, the original row 2 moves down to row 3 and row 3 moves down to row 4.
For the next pass of the loop the code will be working with row 3, which is now the row that was in row 2, meaning that the row inserted above what is now row 3 is actually inserted above the original row 2 (again) instead of above row 4 where it should be.
Nothing is inserted above the original row 3 because once it moved down to row 4, it was outside of the loop.

By working from bottom to top, the rows that have been changed are below the one to do next, so the loop is not affected by the previous pass.

Upvote 0
Adding to what Jason has said, if you were deleting rows & went top down, there are situations where you could end up in a permanent loop, ie one that never ever ends until Xl has had enough & crashes.

Upvote 0
Thanks for adding that, Fluff. That was the bit that I hadn't thought of.

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back