Inserting Value of one cell into text of another.

futureancient

Board Regular
Apologies, I'm not sure I described in the title what I'm trying to do...

I have a value in cell A1 - determined by a variety of other unimportant calculations.

In cell B1 I have a line of text which I want to insert the number in A1 into the middle of.

eg A1 = "6" B1 = "I have inserted the number 6 (ie Cell A1) into this line of text.

This is probably extremely simple to do, but I am a complete novice. I have one other question which I will use a different thread for. Thanks for any help you can offer..

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
="I have inserted the number " & A1 &" (ie Cell A1) into this line of text."

Upvote 0
Try in B1:
="I have inserted the number "&A1&" (ie Cell "&ADDRESS(ROW(A1),COLUMN(A1),4)&") into this line of text"

Upvote 0
To include the cell address in the formula, here's another way:

="I have inserted the number " & A1 &" (ie Cell " & SUBSTITUTE(CELL("address",A1),"$","") &") into this line of text."

Upvote 0
Thanks guys, so quick.. I think I may have confused the issue in my post.. HOTPEPPERS first answer is I believe what I was looking for... just the number inserted into the text..

The problem is, it doesnt seem to have worked. I have typed it in just as suggested, but all I'm seeing is exactly that - "I have inserted the number " & A1 &" (ie Cell A1) into this line of text"

and not as I had hoped - "I have inserted the number 6 (ie Cell A1) into this line of text".. not sure why.

Upvote 0
Make sure the cell is not formatted as text and there does need to be an = sign in front.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
denissimo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back