Inset Columns to the right of my active cell

FilleFrella44

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I'm currently having an issue with inserting columns to the right of my active cell. When I click insert I only get the option to shift the cells to the right, but not to the left.

I wonder if there is any way to insert columns to the right of the active cell like the functionallity shown in the customize ribbon bu for Table.

Regards,
FilleFrella

Attachments

• Alleged Functionallity.PNG
    Alleged Functionallity.PNG
    8.4 KB · Views: 4
  • At Home.PNG
    At Home.PNG
    5.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Options.PNG
    Options.PNG
    4 KB · Views: 4

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Simply, Excel can't add columns in backwards. Nither to left, nor top. It cannot create -B column before A :)
Also, it can not drag column A out of view like it does for XFD column.
Surprisingly it can not push XFD column out of the sheet if it contains any value.
In other words, Excel also won't allow you to add cells to the right if you have data at the very last column or push cells down if you have data at the very bottom.

Upvote 0
I'm currently having an issue with inserting columns to the right of my active cell. When I click insert I only get the option to shift the cells to the right, but not to the left.

I wonder if there is any way to insert columns to the right of the active cell like the functionallity shown in the customize ribbon bu for Table.
I suspect that the functionality shown in the customize ribbon is not what you think it is.
When you are in a table the option to insert a column to the right only comes up if you are in the last column of the table.
The option on the customize ribbon is only slightly different to that in that it allows you to be in any cell in the table when you access the command BUT it still will only insert a column after the last column that exists in the table (expanding the table), not to the immediate right of the active cell.

Upvote 0
Hi and thanks for the quick replies. Not quite sure what I'll do here, should I mark the thread as "solved" since there seems to be no way of solving it? Perhaps this could be done with VBA instead, creating a column in +1 relative position to the active column/cell, or create it the "normal" way with ALT+H+I+I then moving that new column to the right of original one?

Upvote 0
You obviously have some specific in mind that you are trying to do.
Most people would simply move the cursor 1 cell to the right before inserting the column where they want it.

Once you move the cursor to the right then for a worksheet column
• Ctrl+Shift (selects the column)
• Ctrl+<+> (Ctrl+Plus - Inserts column)

For a Table only column insertion
• Ctrl+Shift (selects column data range)
• Ctrl+Shift a second time (selects table column) - Basically keep holding the Ctrl key down and hit the spacebar twice.
• Ctrl+<+> (Ctrl+Plus - Inserts column)
(You can obviously also use the mouse to select the column)

Much more direct than moving the column after the insertion.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iparraguirre89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back