Interactive comments box

Dunkertons

Hi,

I have created a sales dashboard for some product managers.
At the top are 2 drop down boxes (the 2nd being dependent on the first, thanks to another thread on here! :biggrin:) whereby the user can select the manager and then select one of the product categories for which that manager is responsible.
All the sales figures then update according to those selections, which is great.

However the challenge now is that those managers want to be able to add some short narrative/comments against each product group, in the form of a text/comments box which is static and visible on the dashboard page. They want to be able to free type the comments into the box and for those comments to then be stored against that product group, so that the next time that product group is selected in the drop down, the comments appear again in the text box.

I've looked at using a pivot table on a separate tab with a macro to open that tab and filter the pivot table for the appropriate manager as selected on the dashboard drop down - the idea being you can enter a comment in the cell next to the relevant product group and a vlookup in a hidden/off-screen cell then enables you to populate that comment back into the text box (i.e. text box contains formula "=that hidden cell"). However entering the comments in a cell next to the pivot doesn't work as the comments remain static when the pivot filter changes....

Is there a step to solve this, or is there a completely different way to achieve what is I guess an "interactive and dynamic comments box", using VBA or otherwise?

I'm using Excel 2010 by the way, many thanks

Sam

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
p.s. I forgot to mention that the source data is stored in a table, and each product group has multiple rows of data. I.e. not possible to enter the comments per product group back into the source data as there are 1000's rows, and the comments should apply to groupings of these rows.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back