Interconnected, Dynamic Worksheets

L

Legacy 419400

I have a complicated series of questions. I am trying to confirm I am building these worksheets as efficiently as possible.

I am also probably not the normal user. I am an architect. Over several projects, I have been developing a series of workbooks and worksheets to document what is called a building program. At its simplest, it is a list of rooms. However, most the time, it includes lists of equipment, acceptable finishes, occupancy data, areas, and more.

I have created three files. One holds the primary data, “Building Program”. One holds the occupancy data, “Building Occupancy”. The last file holds all the little details concerning each room, “Space Data Sheets”.

Each workbook references the other. I have used data drop-boxes and VLOOKUP to automatically fill many cells to streamline the documentation process. I feel the files are rather robust and impressive for my industry.

However, I have reached the point where I must link the primary worksheet in the “Building Program” to the primary worksheet in the “Building Occupancy” file. I have considered an array, tables, and pivot tables. I have also looked into power pivot and power view, but my firm is using Excel 2010 for the time being. I also don’t think I truly need a pivot table; I am not rotating rows or columns at all. I simply need the “duplicate” the room names, numbers, and areas to the second worksheet so I can associate the appropriate occupancy data. However, I think if I were to shuffle ( alphabetize or sort ) the “Building Program”, I am not confident the rows in “Building Occupancy” would dynamically update. VLOOKUP would shuffle the room names and numbers to maintain proper relationships, but the new occupancy data would remain stationary. I am not sure.

I have three snapshots of the three workbooks, but this forum doesn't seem to allow easy attachments. I wish I could post the files themselves.

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Use Excel Jeanie or one of the other programs listed in my sig to post representative portions of your worksheets. Please provide more text detail (worksheets & ranges) regarding your concerns.

You can use code to copy dynamic named ranges from worksheets in supporting workbooks to your "Main" workbook each time the main was opened. If the various formulas or codes in the main workbook referenced dynamic named ranges in that workbook then they should properly update.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flashbond

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back