Interesting VLookup quirk

normpam

A1 B1 C1 D1
Norman 123 Elm st Norman =Vlookup(C1, $A$1:$B$10,2,false)

Just as a simple example. Problem is, it's not finding the value in C1 as 'Norman'. I've checked for spaces - not an issue. I did = Len() on both cells; they are the same. If I use = EXACT, they are different.

I noted that one of them was imported from another program and came in a a merged cell. Would this throw off the VLookup? And if so, is there a CHAR code I could look for and use SUBSTITUTE to fix the issue?

Use this VBA code to find the ASCII code of every single character in your string.
Simply select the cell you want to analyze, and run the code.
VBA Code:
Sub GetASCIICodes()

Dim cd As String
    Dim i As Long

'   Loop through each character of activecell and get ASCII code
    For i = 1 To Len(ActiveCell)
        cd = cd & "Character " & i & ": " & Mid(ActiveCell, i, 1) & " - " & Asc(Mid(ActiveCell, i, 1)) & vbCrLf
    Next i

'   Return analysis
    MsgBox cd

End Sub
Thanks... will try it out. Pretty intriguing, huh?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Thanks... will try it out. Pretty intriguing, huh?
I see this quite often with data that comes off of the web or out of other programs. They often have special characters in them (something 32, sometimes not).
So things that look like they should match, often times actually do not.

If you run that code I gave you on both the cells that you think should match, you should be able to easily spot the differences (which will tell you why they do not actually match).

Upvote 0
Works. Thanks. Turns out that the 'space' was really char 160! What's interesting is that when I tried to find the char code for a space, all if found was CHAR 32

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Note that you can Find and Replace all those non-breaking spaces with normal spaces, by using this simple method that Rory describes here:

If you do that to get rid of all those characters, then your VLOOKUP formula should work as expected.

Upvote 0
Let me see if I can simplify this. It's really pretty straightforward.
In a particular cell there is the entry K Buildings. There is another sheet that has the exact same entry, but a VLookup doesn't work. If I do a 'Find' for a space, Excel tells me that there is NO space in the cell that has the first entry of K Buildings. I've seen this before, and found that using a SUBSTITUTE formula to get rid of the CHAR 32 (space) character will work. However, when I use the SUBSTITUTE formula on this cell, it turns out that the 'space' between K and Buildings, is not only not a space, but is not the result of CHAR 32 either. What else could be lurking in the cell that makes it appear that there is a space in it?
You can use MID(CODE() to yield the specific ASCHII number of the character. You may have a CODE(160) which is the non-breaking space character.

Upvote 0
You can use MID(CODE() to yield the specific ASCHII number of the character. You may have a CODE(160) which is the non-breaking space character.
Yes, we already found that using the VBA code I provided, which uses that type of logic.
They already confirmed that the non-breaking space was the culprit in post 13 (maybe you missed the second page of posts?).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back