Internship Help: Linking worksheets to other worksheets automatically

cuervor14

Hello,

I am a young college student that is interning for a business this summer. I am excel certified but I am in no way a "master" of excel. Right now they want me to make two worksheets, one is a budget sheet and the other is the overall month budget sheet. On one sheet, they want to be able to right all the expenditures of an event down. On the second sheet, they want to have all the statistics of all the expenditures that happened in the entire month.

The thing that makes this complicated is that they want it so that whenever you type in a month on the budget sheet, that information will automatically go to the overall month budget sheet. Thus in a way they want it to be "connected".

Is there any way to do this? I thought that a possible way to do this is that they can organize a list of what budget sheets (Lets say, budget sheet A01-A05) they want, and then import it. But this doesn't seem possible anyways.

Thank you for any and all help. Please let me know if there is any more information

I forgot to mention that the monthly overall budget sheets should be named by month only, for example: "January", "February", "March", etc.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
My apologies. I had to make a minor change. Click here for the revised file.

Upvote 0
I cannot thank you enough! Your help has been so tremendous! Thank you for your generosity and thoughtfulness. I have a few questions on how this works:

1.How can I update the overall budget sheets through a vast majority of time?
2. How do I update it to a second budget sheet? I made a second sheet called "A02" to test it out, and it wasn't as simple as ctrl+u. I had to go to A02 and run the macro "CopyData". Is this just how we will have to do it?
3. If I were to make the date for A01 January for example,would it still do the copy data? (UPDATE: tried it out. and it didn't work. I'm impressed)
4. To go off from the last question, how would i make another overall budget sheet for the other months?
5. I noticed that on A1 you have it as "Initiative Worksheet"+(whatever the cell is), is there anyway way where I can just put in the "number" (A01,A02, A03 etc) and have it not mess up. I just don't understand why that is the way it is?

To answer your question, I want to know what percentage of the total expenditures are every category. For example if the total cost was 100, and i spent 50 dollars in *******, i want it to show that of the total cost, 50% of the budget was used in *******.

AGAIN, thank you SO MUCH. You are really great at it and I hope to be as good as you one day in it. Thank you again.

Upvote 0
If you look at sheet A01, you will see a date. The macro looks at that date and extracts the name of the month from the date. It then looks at all your sheets to find the sheet with the name of that month and then copies the data over. This means that you must go to the budget sheet (make it the active sheet) and then run the macro. If you change the date in A01 to January and run the macro, the data will be copied to the "January" sheet. If you change the date in A01 to July and run the macro, the data will be copied to the "July" sheet. To answer your question #5, I assume you are referring to cell A2. I didn't change that cell. The contents of cell A2 is returned by the formula that was there in your original file. In any case, you can change that cell and it won't have any effect on the macro. Click here to download an updated version of your file. I have included the budget sheets for the 12 months and have modified the macro to calculate the percentages of total expenditures. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluedbw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back