Interpolation problem I think?

wenlianglo

Hi there,
I am currently facing few problems with my report. The first thing is, how do I extrapolate a graph? I have a series of data from experiment which shows roughly a "mountain" like graph where there is ascending zone, peak zone, then descending zone. However, I didn't have enough value in the descending zone to plot a longer graph. How do I extrapolate?

Second question, is how to find X value. Imagine the "mountain" shaped graph. At one Y axis, there should be 2 X axis value since there an ascending and descending zone in the graph. Is there any function to help me find the 2 X value assuming I know what Y value to look at?

Thanks in advance.

I hope to add more details which hopefully does not confuse anyone. Assuming my graph have 15 X and Y value which made 15 points. Say, first 10 points is from ascending to peak zone of the graph while point 11 - 15 is in the descending zone. If I assumed my Y value to read the 2 X axis value is one of the first 10 points, say point 7, drawing a horizontal line to the descending zone, it's between point 12 and point 13. So, by theory, I should interpolate point 12 and point 13 to get the second X value from the Y axis starting at point 7. How do I write an equation to let excel do this automatically?

Thanks again

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back