Inventory list pricing

Ibanez

Hi everyone - I have a list of 3,000+ store inventory items (i.e. Windex 451ml) that I need to price out. Typically we look each item up 1 at a time and paste the price in which takes us days/weeks to do:eek:. We don't have a large budget to hire a developer to build a custom database for us and was wondering if excel was powerful enough to do this. We do have a master price list of 25,000+ items with pricing for each. so my question is this; is it possible to for to be given a list of 1,000s of items and have excel automatically search the master list of 25,000 items for a match and populate the price for the entire list, as 1 operation?

Thanks for you help and

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Yes. This could be done with Vba and possible with formula.

Tell me the sheet name and column number where the 25, 000 items are listed and the column number with the prices.

And then tell me on what sheet and in what column are the items that you want the prices for.

For example you may have the 25,000 items in Sheet ("Master") column "A" and the price in the adjacent column "B"

And now you enter a list of items you want prices for in sheet "Prices" column "A"

Our script could put the price for these items in sheet "Prices" column "B"

Just give me those details and let me see what I can do for you.

There may be others here at Mr. Excel which may have a formula solution

Upvote 0
If my previous assumptions are correct try using this script:

Code:
Sub Prices_For()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Dim i As Long
Dim b As Long
Dim Lastrow As Long
Dim Lastrowa As Long
Lastrow = Sheets("Master").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
Lastrowa = Sheets("Prices").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
    For i = 1 To Lastrow

For b = 1 To Lastrowa
            If Sheets("Master").Cells(i, 1).Value = Sheets("Prices").Cells(b, 1).Value Then
                Sheets("Prices").Cells(b, 2).Value = Sheets("Master").Cells(i, 2).Value: Exit For
            End If
        Next
    Next
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

OK

Upvote 0
The Sheet name is MasterPriceList and with Column B for product name and size/volume (i.e. Windex 421mL) and column C is the price. The sheet we're pricing out is called Inventory Schedule

Upvote 0
So did you look at my script?

Please explain what "pricing out" is

I do not understand the term "pricing out"

I assume you have a list of value in column "A" on sheet named "Inventory Schedule" and you want the price for these items put into column "B of that sheet.

Is this correct?

If not explain more please.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not sure how to test your script. I'm thinking I would need to save it in the developer tab and save/run the script? I'm not a developer and only have simpler coding like HTML under my belt. Based on what you've provided below I think all I would need to do is save the script and change the names of the sheets. I appreciate your help and your patience with this!

You are correct, Pricing out is the process of putting the correct price next to the item.

Upvote 0
OK. Now that I know more. Wait 15 minutes and I should have a new script for you.
I will be back.

Upvote 0
Try this:
To install the code:
Right click on any sheet tab
Choose "View Code"
In upper left portion of window choose "Insert"
Choose "Module"
Paste the code in the module and close those windows

To run the script
From the Ribbon choose "View"
Choose Macros
Choose View Macros
Choose the macro named "Prices_For"
Choose Run

Code:
Sub Prices_For()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Dim i As Long
Dim b As Long
Dim Lastrow As Long
Dim Lastrowa As Long
Lastrow = Sheets("MasterPriceList").Cells(Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp).Row
Lastrowa = Sheets("Inventory Schedule").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
    For i = 1 To Lastrow

For b = 1 To Lastrowa
            If Sheets("MasterPriceList").Cells(i, 2).Value = Sheets("Inventory Schedule").Cells(b, 1).Value Then
                Sheets("Inventory Schedule").Cells(b, 2).Value = Sheets("MasterPriceList").Cells(i, 3).Value: Exit For
            End If
        Next
    Next
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
it works!! many many thanks! Is it possible to modify this to include searching column B, and Column C of the MasterPriceList? For example we a version of hte MasterPriceList where we have the item description in column B, the volume/size in column C, and the price in column D. This would mean that the script would have to find all of the matches in column B, and then find the correct volume in Column C to assign to correct price in column D. I guess i'm asking if it's possible for the script to search 2 columns before returning the correct price in colmn D?

Upvote 0
So your wanting to search the "MasterPriceList"

Look in column "B" for the value in Column "A" in sheet "Inventory Schedule"

And also look in column "C" for the value in Column "B" in sheet "Inventory Schedule"
And when found enter the value from "D" into column "C" of the Inventory schedule"

Is that what your wanting.

So in sheet inventory we will have Item name in column A

volume/size in column "B"
Price in column "C" is that correct?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guest1337

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back