inventory spreadsheet

Barry

I want to create an inventory spreadsheet using Excel.

Some background: I want to scan inventory bar codes using a "Symbol" brand scanner. When scanning with the Symbol scanner I already possess, it will populate a cell within Excel with the correct number corresponding to the bar code.

What I hope to accomplish: When I eventually fill the Excel spreadsheet with the scanned inventory numbers (for example in column A) -- on all future scans -- I want to be able to populate (in column B) a +1 for each time a particular bar code is scanned. In other words, as I scan multiple items of the same number, each time I scan them, the total is increased by one in column B

And if possible when scanning -- for Excel to find the the already inserted inventory number -- and to increase the total by one in column B for each scan.

Is there already an Excel spreadsheet out there that would accomplish this?

Thanks for any help...Barry

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
I think your biggest issue is going to be getting that scanner to communicate to excel directly. Without that any sheet you have is pointless. Is there a direct connection between the scanner and the pc? Do you know what format the data is coming in as?

Upvote 0
Getting the scanner to communicate with Excel is no problem. I am using a Symbol bar-code scanner to read job numbers that are bar-coded on the job ticket. It will enter the job number in a cell, and I have the bar-code scanner programmed to input an "Enter" or "carriage return" in after it reads the bar code so it skips to the next cell automatically. Most scanners, at least the 1D kind (bar-code is just lines up and down) are glorified automatic keyboards. Scan the code, convert to text/numbers/characters, input the text/numbers/characters somewhere. As far as I know, 2D (think the bar code on your UPS package that is read side to side AND up and down) are the same.

Can not help you with the calculation unless you can somehow use the COUNT or COUNTIF functions.
Scan into column A.
Then in column B maybe something like =COUNTIF(A1:A6,"=A6")
I don't know how to make it look at A6 so that it knows what to look for.

Maybe someone else can help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back