Invoice Auto Number Reset.

Gadgetman496

Hello!

I have followed the Mr. Excel video tutorials on how to auto number invoices using a template, Macro & Add in.

I found the tutorials to be very well presented & easy to follow so all is working well in that regard.

My question is this,

Once you have all this working, where & how do you reset the invoice number if the need ever arises? For example, if your invoice number was at 1028 & you wanted to reset it back to 1001, how do you do that?

-

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
If you are keeping all transactions in a single workbook, you won't want to reset the number. That is most probably your unique record identifier.

If you plan on starting a new file each time you reset, then I suppose you just delete the old records. I haven't seen the training and file design so I can't speak to it.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response nbrcrunch,

Well that's just the problem, I can't locate where to delete the Invoice number records. The way the project is structured requires the creation of a Template, a Macro & a Addin. The starting number for the invoice was created in a blank workbook but that becomes obsolete once the addin is created.

The Pod Casts I followed are linked below & they may explain how it was setup better than I can :)

Video #1

Video #2

Video #3

Video #4

-

Upvote 0
The more I think about this the more I believe that the Invoice number Info has to be stored in the Template somewhere?

The Template is located @

C:\Documents and Settings\My_User_Name\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

When I open it all I see is the Invoice Template but can't find where it is holding the last invoice number???

-

Upvote 0
Its in the add-in file. watch the last video again.

Yes nbcrunch I twigged that just after my last post but was unable to edit the post even though the forum rules state that I can.

editpost.jpg

There is no option there for me to edit the post (that I can see anyway).

I didn't want to post again & totally confuse the issue.

Back on topic:

When I open the Addin file I'm presented with a blank window with most of the toolbar options greyed out & those that are available tell me noting. Any ideas?

addin.jpg

Upvote 0
If you just open the file as a normal file (File:Open), regardless of the extension, it should open? No?

I have done this many times and never had trouble opening them.

If it appears to have opened but still see nothing, go to options to view hidden file. I no longer use that version, and my mind is so forgetful that i've already forgotten something I used for years.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

I twigged that just after my last post but was unable to edit the post even though the forum rules state that I can.

There is a time frame within which you can edit your posts. If you still want to do so after that, just PM me or another Moderator and we can fix it for you.

As for adjusting the code to restart the invoice number, how about posting the code you used?

Upvote 0
Thanks Smitty, I'm not sure what you mean by a time frame?

I went to edit that particular post less than a minute after posting but unlike other forums I use, there was no edit button available at all.

As soon as I post this I'll check to see if I can edit it? :)

Anyway, the code is only 4 lines within a Macro, exactly as shown in video 3 linked in my previous post, you are correct though, that's where I need to look I guess.

-
EDIT:

Yes, the button was there this time, but it must disappear pretty quickly :biggrin:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rohitsomani

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back