Invoice numbering?

ljubo_gr

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Please, dear Excel super master users.
I have three(1.2.3) sheets, columns A and B on all three. In column B should be invoice number generated inserting data in A column, like, when typing "Bill" in A1, that should result MRE-INV-01 in B1. BUT, when typing "Jelen" in A1 on Sheet2, should be MRE-INV-02. and so on.
Invoice numbering should be generated by vlookup, Sheet1 to vlookup on sheet2&3, Sheet2 to vlookup sheet1&3... Then, probably IF function,,,, i don't know:confused:

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
This code will automatically add a new invoice number in column B when you type something in column A on the three sheets.

• Right-click on a sheet tab and select View Code from the pop-up context menu
  • Double-click on ThisWorkbook in the VBAProject panel usually in the upper left of the VBA Editor
  • Paste the code from below in the VBA editor
  • Change the names of the three sheets to your sheet names.

Code:
[COLOR=darkblue]Private[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Sub[/COLOR] Workbook_SheetChange([COLOR=darkblue]ByVal[/COLOR] Sh [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Object[/COLOR], [COLOR=darkblue]ByVal[/COLOR] Target [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] Range)
    [COLOR=darkblue]If[/COLOR] Sh.Name = "[COLOR=#ff0000]Sheet1[/COLOR]" [COLOR=darkblue]Or[/COLOR] Sh.Name = "[COLOR=#ff0000]Sheet2[/COLOR]" [COLOR=darkblue]Or[/COLOR] Sh.Name = "[COLOR=#ff0000]Sheet3[/COLOR]" [COLOR=darkblue]Then[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=darkblue]If[/COLOR] Target.Count = 1 [COLOR=darkblue]Then[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=darkblue]If[/COLOR] Target.Column = 1 [COLOR=darkblue]Then[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=darkblue]If[/COLOR] Target.Value <> "" [COLOR=darkblue]Then[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=darkblue]With[/COLOR] Target.Offset(, 1)
                        .Value = Application.Max(Sheets("[COLOR=#ff0000]Sheet1[/COLOR]").Range("B:B"), _
                                                 Sheets("[COLOR=#ff0000]Sheet2[/COLOR]").Range("B:B"), _
                                                 Sheets("[COLOR=#ff0000]Sheet3[/COLOR]").Range("B:B")) + 1
                        .NumberFormat = """MRE-INV-""00"
                    [COLOR=darkblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]With[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=darkblue]Else[/COLOR]
                    Target.Offset(, 1).Value = ""
                [COLOR=darkblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]If[/COLOR]
End [COLOR=darkblue]Sub[/COLOR]

Upvote 0
Iesu Christi, how fast :)

So this code should give me unique invoice numbers from MRE-INV-00 on all three sheets? Should i lock columns B?
And, where is column A in code?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This code will automatically add a new invoice number in column B when you type something in column A on the three sheets.

• Right-click on a sheet tab and select View Code from the pop-up context menu
  • Double-click on ThisWorkbook in the VBAProject panel usually in the upper left of the VBA Editor
  • Paste the code from below in the VBA editor
  • Change the names of the three sheets to your sheet names.

Code:
[COLOR=darkblue]Private[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Sub[/COLOR] Workbook_SheetChange([COLOR=darkblue]ByVal[/COLOR] Sh [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Object[/COLOR], [COLOR=darkblue]ByVal[/COLOR] Target [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] Range)
    [COLOR=darkblue]If[/COLOR] Sh.Name = "[COLOR=#ff0000]Sheet1[/COLOR]" [COLOR=darkblue]Or[/COLOR] Sh.Name = "[COLOR=#ff0000]Sheet2[/COLOR]" [COLOR=darkblue]Or[/COLOR] Sh.Name = "[COLOR=#ff0000]Sheet3[/COLOR]" [COLOR=darkblue]Then[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=darkblue]If[/COLOR] [COLOR="#00FF00"]Target.Column = 1[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Then[/COLOR]
                        .Value = Application.Max(Sheets("[COLOR=#ff0000]Sheet1[/COLOR]").Range("B:B"), _
                                                 Sheets("[COLOR=#ff0000]Sheet2[/COLOR]").Range("B:B"), _
                                                 Sheets("[COLOR=#ff0000]Sheet3[/COLOR]").Range("B:B")) + 1
                [COLOR=darkblue]Else[/COLOR]
                    Target.Offset(, 1).Value = ""

Hi,

Above in Green, refers to Column A.

Upvote 0
Not so good, but BIG THANK YOU!
Problem, someone could type in column B, lets say, number 3, which is already taken. I need error warning. Or lock column B. Also i need on sheet1 lets say, in cell C1, to display me last used invoice number. Thank you so much.

Upvote 0
No. Don't lock column B. I need to be able to skip 10 or so numbers. Exp: 1, 2,3,4, and user type in column B number 14, then Excel starts new invoice number from 14. But, i still need error warning when entering dups OR numbers in between 4-14(skiped numbers).

Upvote 0
Try this...

Code:
    [COLOR=darkblue]If[/COLOR] Sh.Name = "Sheet1" [COLOR=darkblue]Or[/COLOR] Sh.Name = "Sheet2" [COLOR=darkblue]Or[/COLOR] Sh.Name = "Sheet3" [COLOR=darkblue]Then[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=darkblue]If[/COLOR] Target.Column = 1 [COLOR=darkblue]Then[/COLOR]
                        .Value = Application.Max(Sheets("Sheet1").Range("B:B"), _
                                                 Sheets("Sheet2").Range("B:B"), _
                                                 Sheets("Sheet3").Range("B:B")) + 1
                [COLOR=darkblue]ElseIf[/COLOR] Target.Column = 2 [COLOR=darkblue]Then[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=darkblue]If[/COLOR] Application.CountIf(Sheets("Sheet1").Range("B:B"), Target) + _
                       Application.CountIf(Sheets("Sheet2").Range("B:B"), Target) + _
                       Application.CountIf(Sheets("Sheet3").Range("B:B"), Target) > 1 [COLOR=darkblue]Then[/COLOR]
                            MsgBox "Duplicate Invoice Number", vbExclamation, "Invalid Entry"
                            Target.ClearContents

If you want to see the last Invoice Number in Sheet1 C1, put this formula in that cell.
=MAX(Sheet1!B:B,Sheet2!B:B,Sheet3!B:B)

Upvote 0
And FINAL, one more: UNDO(ctrl+z) not working :(

I have this code, also, in this workbook, and ctrlZ working, but when i add your code, ctrlZ is gone :(
Code:
Private Sub Workbook_SheetSelectionChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)
    If ActiveCell.Column() > 21 Or ActiveCell.Row() > 61 Or ActiveCell.Row() = 1 _
    Or ActiveCell.Value = "" Then
    GoTo ifERROR
    Else
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
ifERROR:
    End If
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I made mistake, invoice numbers should start like: INV-1-16, INV-2-16....
ANd i really would like to have back ctrlZ. I cannot F8 code, why?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Only the UNDO for changes to column A are gone. Changes to other columns should still UNDO. I don't know how to fix that and still have automatic invoice numbers.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back