Is Excel safer on ... MacOS or MS Windows???

SCarr1999

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
  3. Mobile
  4. Web
Hello,

For Excel files - what operating system is best to use between Windows and iOS?? Which system uses the best software/ application to detect viruses better?
With all of the online tools available with downloads for excel templates / word templates etc. - how do I know what is actually safe to download/use??

Any help is appreciated!

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Be aware that some functions are not available for the OSX version , so powerquery and some functions

there has been a lot of talk on OSX v Windows security generally , its always thought OSX is less susceptible to viruses , one of the reasons is the number of windows pc's v osx pc's in world , at one time this was 95% v 5%, when i was helping people with PCs 2010-2016 , on forums etc
Now I think its 75% v 15% , 10% others

I dont run an antivirus on my mac, but i do on the windows PC - I often visit unknown websites and on the windows pc often get warned
I use malwarebytes on both ( i have a paid version for the Mac , free via Natwest bank )

But i'm sure there will be lot of different views

Upvote 0
It depends on what you mean by "safer." The security of Excel on both platforms is about the same. Mac Excel is more restricted and therefore safer by default because the default is that Excel is "sandboxed." On Windows, sandboxing is optional.

I'm not sure why etaf thinks there's no PowerQuery on Mac Excel. Here's a screen shot of the Mac PowerQuery Editor. Mac and Windows Excel have the same worksheet functions.

Screenshot 2022-07-01 at 2.05.04 PM.png

Upvote 0
I'm not sure why edaf things there's no PowerQuery on Mac Excel. Here's a screen shot of the Mac PowerQuery Editor
because it wasn't in Excel when i wanted to use a while ago , and only available to the insiders version

Seems to have been released in may22

So i was a little out of date on that info , sorry if i mislead anyone
BUT the point is there are differences

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drewmorgan128

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back