Is it possible to autofill and sort between worksheets?

waitn4thewknd

Ok, I hope I explain this properly.

I have a workbook with 3-4 worksheets. On Sheet 2 and 3, column A and B are the same on both sheets. When I enter something into Column A on Sheet 2, I want it to also appear on Column A on Sheet 3. I know you can do that by ='Sheet name'!A2 etc. Is there an easier way?

Next problem. If I am on sheet 2, and I sort either column A or B, how can I get it to do the same on sheet 3 and keep the rest of the information in that row with it? An example would be:

on sheet 2
Column A Column B
AZ45 501A
AZ46 508C
AZ47 501A

and on sheet 3
Column A Column B Column C Column D Column E...
AZ45 501A Karen 4 MC
AZ46 508C Ralph 2 GR
AZ47 501A Marcy 1 MC

So if I am entering info into Column A and B on sheet 2, it goes over to sheet 3, and if I sort Column B on sheet 2, it NEEDS to sort Column B on sheet 3 and keep the row of info all together. (I think it falls under "Expand section")

Is this even possible? And if it is, can you please tell me how to do that?

Thank you!

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Part of tracking information, each sheet has other information that goes with the 2 tags, and those 2 tags are what we sort by often.

Upvote 0
the ='Sheet name'!A2 is the easiest way..you only need to make the formula once. then copy it down.. as far a sorting. yes you can do both sheets or multiple sheets a the same time as long as the columns are made with the same name..(you said that both A and B are named the same).. you just hold down the shift key high light the sheet/s you want to sort then on the sheet.. highlight the ONE cell and not the whole column.. in whatever column you want right click sort and sort either AtoZ or ZtoA .. this will sort all the highlighted sheets

if this isn't what your looking for. maybe paste on here what you already have done.. so we can see what you need.. good luck

Upvote 0
Ok, I did that and it sort of works. Yes, it does allow me to sort on both sheets, and that is what I want, however... when it sorts on sheet 3, none of the other information in the other columns that are on that row, go with that value, and I need them to. Am I just asking for too much?

Upvote 0
is should sort as long as the cells are side by side.. there can't be any blank cells in between... if there is you must first make it into a active table.. so that way if sort it will take the cells that are empty as well. it's easy to make into a table.. go onto the sheet you want. click on your data.. then make sure your on the insert ribbon. then click on insert and click on table.. highlight the entire table that you want.. make sure you the "my table has headers" then click ok.. your data will then turn colors.. and now you can sort even the blank cells next to it..

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back