Is it possible to change name of the target CSV file for importing without re-creating the entire Connection?

d0rian

Office Version
  1. 365
I currently have my workbook export a simple CSV file named export_X.csv, which I then import into a second workbook (WORKBOOK_2) via the Data...Connections menu. Works properly. However, I want to rename the CSV that gets exported to export_123.csv...every time I've done this in the past, I try to figure out what I need to change in WORKBOOK_2 to essentially tell it: "hey, keep everything the same, but the CSV file to go get and import here is now named export_123.csv instead of export_X.csv...the format / number of rows/cols of the CSV is exactly the same, I just changed the name." But I always give up and end up re-creating an entirely new Connection from scratch. Is there a way to just change the NAME of the CSV I want the connection to find and import?
(Excel 2007, so I don't have PowerQuery)

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Hi, with the legacy text import feature, you can ask to "prompt for file name on refresh". That way you select another csv file to import. No need to repeat the import steps.
1642266136822.png

Upvote 0
Can't find "Prompt for file name on refresh" in Excel 365.

Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
Only when using legacy data import. Look in the properties of the data connection.

Upvote 0
I only see a Query and nothing in Connections. How do enable legacy data import?

Thanks for your time.

Upvote 0
You need to customize the ribbon. I believe in the File - Options - Data you can add it. I'm without XL for the moment, I do not always know these things by heart .

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mbone Mathonsi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back