Is it possible to create a drop-down list with a custom, typeable response option?

RedMisterExcel

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hey everyone, how are you all doing? This is my first time here, so please be gentle.

No, but seriously, I need help. I want to know if it's possible to create a drop-down list that provides an option for someone to click and begin to type a custom response in the space. Thanks guys!

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
@RedMisterExcel, welcome to the Forum.
Could you explain what you're trying to do in more detail?
Hey man, so you know how you can use data validation to create a drop-down list with specific options? Well, I want one of those options to be a field that allows you to type a custom response in the field where the other drop down list items would appear.

Upvote 0
Could you give an example?

what do you mean by field?

this drop down is in another cell?
1635302797504.png

So, see how this data validation list creates a drop-down menu allowing me to pick from one of the entries? I want one of those entries to be something like "enter custom response" or "other", and when the user clicks that, it allows them to type text in the field where the entry would have appeared normally (i.e., where the word "green" is right now). Does that help?

Upvote 0
Let's say you pick "other", then you want to type anything in the cell without any restriction? or you want a different data validation list to appear?

Upvote 0
Let's say you pick "other", then you want to type anything in the cell without any restriction? or you want a different data validation list to appear?
Type anything in the cell without any restriction. Like a custom response.

Upvote 0
You can set this:
On Data Validation: on the Error Alert tab, remove the check mark to the "Show error alert after invalid data is entered box".

so the data validation still shows "green,red,orange ..etc" which you can pick but you can also type anything in the cell.

Upvote 0
Solution
You can set this:
On Data Validation: on the Error Alert tab, remove the check mark to the "Show error alert after invalid data is entered box".

so the data validation still shows "green,red,orange ..etc" which you can pick but you can also type anything in the cell.
Copy, that works, but is there no way to put a preset response that says something like "other" which THEN leads to the person being able to type in a response?

Upvote 0
but is there no way to put a preset response that says something like "other" which THEN leads to the person being able to type in a response?
It requires vba. Are you open to using VBA?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back