Is it worth it to switch to an ActiveX control just to change the button color?

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a Button Form control that is working. I wanted to change the color of the button from the boring grey to something that would stand out more. If I understand correctly, this cannot be done with Form controls (of course not, that would make too much sense), only ActiveX controls.

1) Is this true? Or is there a way to change the color of a Form button control.

2) Is it worth it to switch to an ActiveX control just to change the button color? What other m$ft headaches and nightmares are lying in wait if I do switch?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Activex controls should only be used if you have no other choice. They are not as stable as Form controls.

Upvote 0
Solution
Activex controls should only be used if you have no other choice. They are not as stable as Form controls.
I'm sold. I'll stay with the Form control and, I guess, the gray color.

Aren't ActiveX controls newer? I thought I read somewhere that Form controls were available primarily for backward compatibility with previous releases of Office. I would expect newer tools to be more stable.

Upvote 0
Newer is relative (they are far from new) and they have never been particularly stable.

If you just need something to click that looks nicer, I'd suggest using shapes and assigning macros to them.

Upvote 0
Newer is relative (they are far from new) and they have never been particularly stable.
Uhhh..., yes, "newer" being a comparative adjective, is by definition "relative". :love:

If you just need something to click that looks nicer, I'd suggest using shapes and assigning macros to them.
I didn't know that was possible. I have replaced that dumb, boring pale grey button control with a snazzy, colorful shape. Thank you very much! (y)(y)(y)??

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrauni

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back