Is there a better way to extract data from a string?

HockeyDiablo

Board Regular
I am trying to extract random pricing data within a string. I have about 50 set prices for items within the string. Wondering if one of you excel geniuses on here can think of an easy solution? Here is the method I have came up with. Any ideas are welcome.

ABCDE
DescriptionLeft 10 CharsNumber ExtractedRight 10 Chars
1Steel White $599 Sears Craftsman Trolley 22 198 galv rollers Total $815eel White599 Sears Cra
25 yr Sp $130.00 cables 38 Keyless entry FREE LM Belt Drive 10yr War. $349.00 517 Total on CC5 yr Sp $130 cables 38

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:
Re: Extract each set of numbers to a column?

This is to essentially remove numbers after the decimal is they are "00", and include them in the same cell if they are "38". Otherwise my code would count 100.00 as being two strings of numbers. "100" and "00".

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.

Here's a UDF array formula you can try that extracts numbers to individual cells. Select as many cells as you think you will ever need, enter the formula and confirm with ctrl + shift + enter. In the example below I selected B2:I2 for the string in A2. The #N/A error indicates no more numbers to extract.

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFGHI
11st2nd3rd4th5th6th7th8th
2Steel White $599 Sears Craftsman Trolley 22 198 galv rollers Total$81559922198815#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A
35 yr Sp $130.00 cables 38 Keyless entry FREE LM Belt Drive 10yr War. $349.00 517 Total on CC5130.003810349.00517#N/A#N/A
ExtractNumsToCells (2)

Code:
Function ExtractNumsToCells(ByVal S As String) As Variant
Dim Patt As Variant, Vout
Patt = "[0-9]+\.?\d{0,2}"
If S = "" Then
    ExtractNumsToCells = ""
    Exit Function
End If
With CreateObject("VBScript.regexp")
    .Global = True
    .Pattern = Patt
    If .test(S) Then
        For Each Match In .Execute(S)
            Vout = Vout & " " & Match
        Next Match
    End If
    ExtractNumsToCells = Split(Right(Vout, Len(Vout) - 1), " ")
End With
End Function

Upvote 0

The decimals are not very important to be honest. I can clean them up as all of my dollar figures have .00

Just replace .00 with ""

Upvote 0

Here's a UDF array formula you can try that extracts numbers to individual cells. Select as many cells as you think you will ever need, enter the formula and confirm with ctrl + shift + enter. In the example below I selected B2:I2 for the string in A2. The #N/A error indicates no more numbers to extract.

ExtractNumsToCells (2)

ABCDEFGHI
1 1st2nd3rd4th5th6th7th8th
2Steel White $599 Sears Craftsman Trolley 22 198 galv rollers Total$81559922198815#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A
35 yr Sp $130.00 cables 38 Keyless entry FREE LM Belt Drive 10yr War. $349.00 517 Total on CC5130.003810349.00517#N/A#N/A

<colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; "><col style="width:581px;"><col style="width:28px;"><col style="width:46px;"><col style="width:28px;"><col style="width:28px;"><col style="width:46px;"><col style="width:39px;"><col style="width:39px;"><col style="width:39px;"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Spreadsheet Formulas
CellFormula
B2{=ExtractNumsToCells(A2)}

<tbody>
</tbody>
Formula Array:
Produce enclosing
{ } by entering
formula with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER!

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel tables to the web >> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

Code:
If S = "" Then
    ExtractNumsToCells = ""
    Exit Function
End If
    .Global = True
    .Pattern = Patt
    If .test(S) Then
            Vout = Vout & " " & Match
        Next Match
    End If
End With
End Function

I get nothing on a CTRL:+SHIFT+ENTER

Upvote 0

I get nothing on a CTRL:+SHIFT+ENTER
Then you didn't enter the formula and/or the code correctly. Using the example I posted for extraction from the string in A2 do the following:
1. Select cell B2 with your mouse.
2. Hold down the left mouse key and continue the selection by moving the mouse right until the range B2:I2 is selected, with B2 active.
3. Type: =ExtractNumsToCells(A2) - you should see this function in the list of possible functions provided. If not you haven't put the code in the right place.
4. Press Ctrl+Shift+Enter down together.

Here's how to put the code in your workbook:
To install the code:
1. Right-click the worksheet tab you want to apply it to and choose 'View Code'. This will open the VBE window.
2. Copy the code below from your browser window and paste it into the white space in the VBE window.
3. Close the VBE window and Save the workbook. If you are using Excel 2007 or a later version do a SaveAs and save it as a macro-enabled workbook (.xlsm file extension).
4. Make sure you have enabled macros whenever you open the file or the code will not run.
And if you prefer to not have the .00 in the output, here's a revised code to handle that:

Code:
If S = "" Then
    ExtractNumsToCells = ""
    Exit Function
End If
    .Global = True
    .Pattern = Patt
    If .test(S) Then
            Vout = Vout & " " & Format(Match, "0")
        Next Match
    End If
End With
End Function

Upvote 0

Then you didn't enter the formula and/or the code correctly. Using the example I posted for extraction from the string in A2 do the following:
1. Select cell B2 with your mouse.
2. Hold down the left mouse key and continue the selection by moving the mouse right until the range B2:I2 is selected, with B2 active.
3. Type: =ExtractNumsToCells(A2) - you should see this function in the list of possible functions provided. If not you haven't put the code in the right place.
4. Press Ctrl+Shift+Enter down together.

Here's how to put the code in your workbook:
To install the code:
1. Right-click the worksheet tab you want to apply it to and choose 'View Code'. This will open the VBE window.
2. Copy the code below from your browser window and paste it into the white space in the VBE window.
3. Close the VBE window and Save the workbook. If you are using Excel 2007 or a later version do a SaveAs and save it as a macro-enabled workbook (.xlsm file extension).
4. Make sure you have enabled macros whenever you open the file or the code will not run.
And if you prefer to not have the .00 in the output, here's a revised code to handle that:

Code:
If S = "" Then
    ExtractNumsToCells = ""
    Exit Function
End If
    .Global = True
    .Pattern = Patt
    If .test(S) Then
            Vout = Vout & " " & Format(Match, "0")
        Next Match
    End If
End With
End Function

still no dice...

http://www.screencast.com/t/njXO3fMj2R

Last edited:
Upvote 0

My oversight, I gave you the wrong set of instructions for installation of the code.

Delete the code from the sheet (right-click the sheet tab and select View Code to get to it). Then follow these steps:

To install the code:
1. With your workbook active press Alt and F11 keys. This will open the VBE window.
2. In the project tree on the left of the VBE window, find your project and click on it.
3. On the VBE menu: Insert>Module
4. Copy the code from your browser window and paste it into the white space in the VBE window.
5. Close the VBE window and Save the workbook. If you are using Excel 2007 or a later version do a SaveAs and save it as a macro-enabled workbook (.xlsm file extension).
6. Press Alt+F8 keys to run the code
7. Make sure you have enabled macros whenever you open the file or the code will not run.

Upvote 0

My oversight, I gave you the wrong set of instructions for installation of the code.

Delete the code from the sheet (right-click the sheet tab and select View Code to get to it). Then follow these steps:

To install the code:
1. With your workbook active press Alt and F11 keys. This will open the VBE window.
2. In the project tree on the left of the VBE window, find your project and click on it.
3. On the VBE menu: Insert>Module
4. Copy the code from your browser window and paste it into the white space in the VBE window.
5. Close the VBE window and Save the workbook. If you are using Excel 2007 or a later version do a SaveAs and save it as a macro-enabled workbook (.xlsm file extension).
6. Press Alt+F8 keys to run the code
7. Make sure you have enabled macros whenever you open the file or the code will not run.

I initially had it there when I originally tested and received null results. ALT+F8 doesnt even bring up the function labelled [ExtractNumsToCells]

Upvote 0

Does this macro do what you want...
Code:
[table="width: 500"]
[tr]
	[td]Sub ExtractAllNumbers()
  Dim R As Long, X As Long, Data As Variant
  Data = Range("A1", Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp))
  For R = 1 To UBound(Data)
    For X = 1 To Len(Data(R, 1))
      If Mid(Data(R, 1), X, 1) Like "[!0-9.$]" Then Mid(Data(R, 1), X) = " "
    Next
    Data(R, 1) = Application.Trim(Replace(Replace(Data(R, 1), " .", " "), ". ", " "))
  Next
  Range("B1").Resize(UBound(Data)) = Data
  Columns("B").TextToColumns , xlDelimited, , , 0, 0, 0, 1, 0
End Sub[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Does this macro do what you want...
Code:
[TABLE="width: 500"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]Sub ExtractAllNumbers()
  Dim R As Long, X As Long, Data As Variant
  Data = Range("A1", Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp))
  For R = 1 To UBound(Data)
    For X = 1 To Len(Data(R, 1))
      If Mid(Data(R, 1), X, 1) Like "[!0-9.$]" Then Mid(Data(R, 1), X) = " "
    Next
    Data(R, 1) = Application.Trim(Replace(Replace(Data(R, 1), " .", " "), ". ", " "))
  Next
  Range("B1").Resize(UBound(Data)) = Data
  Columns("B").TextToColumns , xlDelimited, , , 0, 0, 0, 1, 0
End Sub[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Is there anything this guy cant figure out?? Amazing...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back