Is there a formula (lack of proper word)

wheddingsjr

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello all

I am new to the forum and fairly new to MS Access and I was hoping someone can assist me with a question. I have a table in an Access database that has two columns which are "MEMBERNO" and "AMOUNT" which contain dollar amounts. Each member number has several lines with different dollar amounts. Is there a way to create a function or "formula" to determine the lowest dollars per member grouping and cut those numbers in half? For example, Member 11111 has 3 lines, the highest dollar amount is untouched but all the subsequent and lower dollars for that member be reduced by 50% I tried to attach the Access database but it wouldn't allow me nor would it allow me to send just a copy of the table.

I hope I explained that sufficiently and thanks for any help provided

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Is it possible to have a member with more than one of the same dollar amounts? Like this?

MemberNoAmount

If so, how would this be handled?

Upvote 0
"I have a table in an Access database that has two columns which are "MEMBERNO" and "AMOUNT" which contain dollar amounts. "
Are there other fields/columns in your table? For instance, is there a unique record id?

Will await your response to JonXL for clarity of requirement.

Upvote 0

I also should have asked what happens when you have a single MemberNo with only one Amount associated with it and a MemberNo with several records all for the same Amount, for example (assume these are the only entries for the indicated MemberNo):

MEMBERNOAMOUNT

What should happen here? Because the Amounts are the same, they both are and are not the 'lowest dollars per member group', as the following query would show:

SQL:
SELECT
    [MemberNo] AS g_MemberNo,
    MAX([Amount]) AS max_Amount,
    MIN([Amount]) AS min_Amount
FROM
    [WHEDD]
GROUP BY
    [MemberNo]

Yields:

g_MemberNomax_Amountmin_Amount

Upvote 0
What should happen is what is expected or required in your business in normal/typical operation.
For any given column, if the values are the same in each related record, the Max and Min will be that common value. Also, if there is only 1 record in your set/group, then that 1 value will be both Max and Min. In many situations there are many varied values for records in the set/group and the Max and Min are the largest and smallest value respectively. I think the example is not the typical set up, but is real for the values presented. It is a condition that must be considered when dealing with Max and Min values.

Each record in a table should have a unique primary key.

Good luck with your project.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
screechyboy79

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back