Is there a good statistical package that is not too expensive?

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Can anyone recommend a good statistical package that is not too expensive or too difficult to master? My immediate need is the ability to test some experimental data to see if it is normally distributed -- that is if it follows (fits) a normal distribution curve. And if it does, what the mean and std dev are.

I would prefer an Excel add-in, but a separate statistical package is also OK. I also need it to have a learning curve that does not require going back to school for an advanced degree. I have seen several recommendations for R, but also caveats about the learning curve.

I do not expect it to be free, but I cannot afford hundreds of dollars.

Thanks for any leads.

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
I too would recommend R...free and open source. Some years ago, there was an RExcel add-in that provided a lot of R functionality through Excel, but I believe that package became commercialized. I don't know if it is still available. The advantage was that certain advanced functions from R could be run directly from an Excel worksheet and the results returned could be used in subsequent Excel formulas. More recently I looked into this and discovered a newer package, but I haven't tried it yet:
The Q-Q plot and the Tukey Lambda methodology are commonly used as normality assessments, shown in the video and illustrated in a file attached to another post that I just responded to at:

Upvote 0
Solution
I too would recommend R...free and open source. Some years ago, there was an RExcel add-in that provided a lot of R functionality through Excel, but I believe that package became commercialized. I don't know if it is still available. The advantage was that certain advanced functions from R could be run directly from an Excel worksheet and the results returned could be used in subsequent Excel formulas. More recently I looked into this and discovered a newer package, but I haven't tried it yet:
The Q-Q plot and the Tukey Lambda methodology are commonly used as normality assessments, shown in the video and illustrated in a file attached to another post that I just responded to at:

I have no doubt that R is the way to go. My concern is that it is over my head. This is just a little spare-time project that I am doing mostly out of curiosity. I'll check out the information you posted on the other thread. And if I get up the courage, I'l take a look at R.

Thanks so much. 🥰

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juggernaut24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back