Is there a macro/add-in to allow partial text filtering using one column to filter another?

indian

How do you write a macro, script or conditional formatting (or is there an add-in I can buy) that will use a partial text match from cells in one column (column J), to filter the list of phrases in another column (Column A). I found a formula that lets me filter column A by just one cell in column J, but I want it to check each cell/word or text I have (about 50 cells in column J).<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>In my situation, column A has over 1,000 rows of text phrases. Column J contains text or words that I want to use to filter column A with, such that if a cell in Column A contains the text/words in any of the cells in column J, the cells in column A will be highlighted (or take the same formatting I have set on the cells in column J). Basically I am using this to sort cells that contain words I do not want in my column A list.<o:p></o:p>
I have been doing this manually (Excel 2010 64bit) by using the replace button, going from J2 cell copy/paste the word in that cell in the find/replace area, and replace it with the same word, I only change the formatting so that I can later sort by color. The problem with this approach is I have 50 or so cells on each worksheet in column J to run through so this takes quite a bit of time for each sheet I have.<o:p></o:p>
Example:<o:p></o:p>
Column A
xyz power tools
xyz warranty
xyz warranty repair
xyz used parts
xyz part
xyz stainless steel appliance
xyz wood appliance
freestanding xyz
xyz troubleshooting
apartment size xyz<o:p></o:p>

Column J:
warranty
tool
part
parts
trouble
repair<o:p></o:p>

---------------
So notice a couple things, I have filtering word in column J “part “ (with a space after it) and parts, thus anything with parts or a part I want to highlight, though I want apartment to not be highlighted, when manually doing this, I use the find/replace and add a space after the word part. Is it possible to filter this when using a formula or code/macro?<o:p></o:p>

I am wanting to highlight matches for partial matches like “trouble” will highlight cells in Column A that include the words “troubles” or “troubleshooting”.<o:p></o:p>
Is it possible to have the formula/code to have the cell formatting on Column A match that of Column J, (if the cell Column A contains the text/word in column J) and that it goes through the list as I would, from the top down. <o:p></o:p>
I need to do this on several different worksheets/workbooks in Excel. What is the best way to simplify this process? Is there a macro, coding or even an add-in I could buy that I can use to keep me from having to do this manually? <o:p></o:p>

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Luke in another forum /website resolved this. Creating a Macro with the below, where the J100 must be the last cell in the column J that is populated with the filtering word. If you need more, then you must edit this code to relect the additional cell. When I first ran it stopped with an error as I didn't have 100 cells in J. Changing this to the lower amount I had allowed this to run without error.

Sub MatchFormats()
'Define range with words you want to find
For Each c1 In Range("J1:J100")
'Define range with words you want to search
For Each c2 In Range("A1:A1000")
'Checks is word is contained in cell
If c2 Like "*" & c1 & "*" Then
'If match, set pattern color to match
c2.Interior.ColorIndex = c1.Interior.ColorIndex
End If
Next c2
Next c1
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back