Is there a regional settings issue in this formula?

valmir

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
The formula in column O is not behaving the way it is supposed to. Can someone please check and be able to tell me why it is not working for me? The formula is supposed to sum the whole part and the decimal part of the number separately and then present the result separated by a comma. Somehow, when I try it, it is not showing the decimal parts of the sum. Please help!
ztest3.xlsx
GHIJKLMNO
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
O1:O5O1=(TRUNC(G1,0)+TRUNC(I1,0)+TRUNC(K1,0)+TRUNC(M1,0))&","&IFERROR(VALUE(MID(G1-TRUNC(G1,0),FIND(".",G1-TRUNC(G1,0))+1,256)),0)+IFERROR(VALUE(MID(I1-TRUNC(I1,0),FIND(".",I1-TRUNC(I1,0))+1,256)),0)+IFERROR(VALUE(MID(K1-TRUNC(K1,0),FIND(".",K1-TRUNC(K1,0))+1,256)),0)+IFERROR(VALUE(MID(M1-TRUNC(M1),FIND(".",M1-TRUNC(M1))+1,256)),0)
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
G1:N2,O1:P5Cell Value=0textNO

This is what I'm getting:

Attachments

• Untitled2.jpeg
    Untitled2.jpeg
    25.9 KB · Views: 4

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
What results should you be getting? The way that you describe the problem says that you only need to use a simple =SUM(G1:M1) formula in place of what you have.

The only reason I can see for using a formula like that would be if you are trying to use comma decimals with period decimal system settings.

Copying your mini sheet to my laptop (period decimal settings) produces these results, are they correct?
I would have thought that the first 2 rows should be 14,52 not 14,16 as the formula returns.

Book1
GHIJKLMNO
Sheet15
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
O1:O5O1=(TRUNC(G1,0)+TRUNC(I1,0)+TRUNC(K1,0)+TRUNC(M1,0))&","&IFERROR(VALUE(MID(G1-TRUNC(G1,0),FIND(".",G1-TRUNC(G1,0))+1,256)),0)+IFERROR(VALUE(MID(I1-TRUNC(I1,0),FIND(".",I1-TRUNC(I1,0))+1,256)),0)+IFERROR(VALUE(MID(K1-TRUNC(K1,0),FIND(".",K1-TRUNC(K1,0))+1,256)),0)+IFERROR(VALUE(MID(M1-TRUNC(M1),FIND(".",M1-TRUNC(M1))+1,256)),0)

Upvote 0
What results should you be getting? The way that you describe the problem says that you only need to use a simple =SUM(G1:M1) formula in place of what you have.

The only reason I can see for using a formula like that would be if you are trying to use comma decimals with period decimal system settings.

Copying your mini sheet to my laptop (period decimal settings) produces these results, are they correct?
I would have thought that the first 2 rows should be 14,52 not 14,16 as the formula returns.

Book1
GHIJKLMNO
Sheet15
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
Hi Jason! The results that you just published is exactly the intended result but somehow, I am getting the results as on the image. Yes, I know that in the conventional way, the results should be 14,52 etc etc but as I explained, I want each part of the decimal number summed separately and then each part shown separated by a comma. I've been told by someone else that this formula is right. I'm just wondering why in my case, it is not summing the "decimal" part of the number. The image that I posted is what I am getting when I copy paste down the formula. Is it because the formula was designed to be used by dots as opposed to commas due to my regional settings? Anyway, I found the solution myself and the solution was right there in my title. All I had to do is change the "." into "," exactly because of "regional settings" as I suspected!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is it because the formula was designed to be used by dots as opposed to commas due to my regional settings?
It would certainly seem that way. Now that I understand exactly what you want it to, I'll have another look and see what it needs to make it work.

Upvote 0
ok and I have another question. Can it be made to behave as a number or it will have to behave as text?

Upvote 0
See if this works, as you have comma decimals I've assumed semicolon delimited formulas as well. I've allowed for up to 5 digits after the comma, less is fine but it will need editing for more.
Excel Formula:
=VALUE(SUM(INT(G1:M1))&","&SUM(IFERROR(--MID(G1:M1;FIND(",",G1:M1)+1;5);0)))
If you don't have office 365 as shown on your profile then you may need to array confirm the formula with Ctrl Shift Enter.

Upvote 0
See if this works, as you have comma decimals I've assumed semicolon delimited formulas as well. I've allowed for up to 5 digits after the comma, less is fine but it will need editing for more.
Excel Formula:
=VALUE(SUM(INT(G1:M1))&","&SUM(IFERROR(--MID(G1:M1;FIND(",",G1:M1)+1;5);0)))
If you don't have office 365 as shown on your profile then you may need to array confirm the formula with Ctrl Shift Enter.
Oh my Goodness! I don't know how to thank you! Thank you soooo much!!! Perfect! 👏👏👏

Upvote 0
You're welcome :)

In answer to your other question that I missed earlier, the formula will behave as a number. If you want it as text then you just need to remove the VALUE() function from the formula.

Upvote 0
Just a small problem. This formula is adding everything in between G1 and M1, however there are some values in columns H, J, L and N that are not supposed to be added. I mean, only the values in columns G, I, K and M are to be added. Any thoughts? This is the original formula that I was using. The only problem with this formula is that it is skipping the decimal part of the last column:
=VALUE(VALUE(IFERROR(LEFT(G5;(FIND(",";G5;1)-1));G5))+VALUE(IFERROR(LEFT(I5;(FIND(",";I5;1)-1));I5))+VALUE(IFERROR(LEFT(K5;(FIND(",";K5;1)-1));K5))+VALUE(IFERROR(LEFT(M5;(FIND(",";M5;1)-1));M5))&","&VALUE(IFERROR(MID(G5;FIND(",";G5)+1;256);0))+VALUE(IFERROR(MID(I5;FIND(",";I5)+1;256);0))+VALUE(IFERROR(MID(K5;FIND(",";K5)+1;256);0))+VALUE(IFERROR(MID(M5;FIND(".";M5)+1;256);0)))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's my bad, I should have checked instead of assuming empty. I'm hoping that you have the LET function in your version of excel, it makes this much easier.
Excel Formula:
=LET(a;INDEX(G1:M1;1;{1;3;5;7});VALUE(SUM(INT(a))&","&SUM(IFERROR(--MID(a;FIND(",";a)+1;5);0))))
Think I've got the commas and semicolons in the right places.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back