Is there a way to copy "Evaluate Formula" steps?

Fractalis

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi to all,

I'm trying to understand better how it works certain Array Formula and I see that "Evaluate Formula" is a great way to
see step by step how it works the formula. The issue I see is that the window of "Evaluate Formula" is very small and is needed
to scroll down/up for each step, and even I do the scroll, cannot see the content in an easy way and worst if the formula handles
many values/cells.

Is there a way (with VBA) to copy to a blank sheet each step of the "Evaluate Formula" to see the complete picture for each step?

Thanks for any help.

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
I know of an add-in that I've always found really helpful at the E90E50 blog (link).
You could inspect the VBA of that if that's you wanted, and the website gives an explanation of how it does it.
1667616648600.png

Upvote 0
I know of an add-in that I've always found really helpful at the E90E50 blog (link).
You could inspect the VBA of that if that's you wanted, and the website gives an explanation of how it does it.
View attachment 77882
Thanks Dan_W for share this. Do you know if does it work in newer versions of Excel (2016, 2019, 365) and if shows the data how is being evaluated (for example, values in TRUE, FALSE during array formulas) and every step that shows the built-in Evaluate Formula tool?

Upvote 0
I have 365 (64bit) and it works fine on that - note that there are four versions - either 2003 or 2007. You'll want the 2007+ version. Within that, you can choose from either the Treeview or the Textbox versions - the treeview probably looks nicer (as per my screenshot), but some users might complain that they don't have the Treeview control installed on their systems.

As for evaluation, I note that it has an evaluate formula option, but honestly I don't use it that much, so you're going to have to give it a test run and report back. I would note, though, that you can adjust the font size of the display. ANd given that it's open source, you can always adjust the VBA code to test whether each of the elements of an array will return True or False if it doesn't already have that capability.

Upvote 0
I've tried to test it. I've added the plugin and the new menu appeared but when I did click to parse a formula(with cell that contains the formula selected), nothing happened. Any pop up window like the one you shared, not sure why. I'm using Excel 365. Thank you

Upvote 0
Do you have Macros enabled? Did you unblock the download before loading it?
I just tried it on a blank cell to see what it does, and the form still pops up.
How about pressing the User Manual button? If that doesn't work either, then I suspect your Excel settings aren't permitting VBA to run.

Upvote 0
Do you have Macros enabled? Did you unblock the download before loading it?
I just tried it on a blank cell to see what it does, and the form still pops up.
How about pressing the User Manual button? If that doesn't work either, then I suspect your Excel settings aren't permitting VBA to run.
Hi again. It seems was VBA security that blocked the add-in to work correctly. I tested and it parses the the formula, but in evaluate formula only opens the built-in evaluate tool of Excel. Anyway. Is still useful when someone wants to parse the formula.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LinusJE

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back